Friday, February 28, 2020

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Fly Tying Study Group - March 2020

Hey so I talked to Art about this and I'm going to make it a regular thing!! I'll announce in advance what I'm going to be tying, and anyone who wants to is welcome to tie along, whether that's learning the pattern or doing interesting variations. We'll call it the study group. 

For March, I figure there's only one option: shad darts

My recipe for shadness madness (heyo Remick!) is as follows:

Hook - Size 6 - short shank, wide gap is preferable. Like a bonefish hook. I really really like a saltwater hook because they're so strong, but some people might look down their nose at this because it gets expensive. Last year I lost several large, large fish because the hook bent though, so I'm sticking to my guns on this. 
Eyes - I tie two different weights, one bead chain and one heavier, so the heavier one will be the lead fly and the lighter one will be on the point.
Body - chenille or anything similar in different colors - if it ain't chartreuse it ain't no use!! (red, pink, orange, whatever else you feel like, would all work - I pretty much only use red and chartreuse).
Tail - I only put white calf tail on my shad darts.

Or, you can always fish a Snowhite Damsel. They slay shad, and bonefish too, as Thomas can attest.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/cf7d1ff9-c6f3-4d51-b775-ddec7880e1d8%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment