Thursday, September 6, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: gunpowder access where to go?

So I made it out again yesterday, flow and river are way down, I've been fishing working my way up from masemore rd, but I finally made it above falls road and can tell I've been screwing up, I will be heading north of falls road next time.

As an FYI I fished a large hopper as there were quite a few cicadas falling from the trees and I had a few takes on that but no sets. I also had a few takes on a caddis but no good sets. I fished a size 6 trash can stream from my 3wt with no success but I've recently tried these Diawa 0.4g micro spoons and managed to get quite a few fish, I got a few browns around 8in and one nice 12 in brown, was very surprised by this fish, though I was snagged on a rock at first. 

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 9:32:24 AM UTC-4, robert mills wrote:
I went out yesterday after work, managed to catch quite a few browns on elk hair caddis and a foam hopper. water level is down about two feet from saturday, 155cfs

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 11:10:39 AM UTC-4, robert mills wrote:
sorry I couldn't make it out, work took over and it was the last summer WNR here in annapolis and I had a boat begging me to come out. I'm thinking about heading out this afternoon or saturday.

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 10:00:18 AM UTC-4, Worapong Soodsamai wrote:
Hi Rob,

It looks like Backwater is closed Wednesdays. I think we will stop into Great Feathers to get a license etc. Yes, I heard of the Masemore section as well as Bunker hill spot as well. We are leaving DC around noon so should be in the area around 1pm today. This will be my 3rd outing with the Tenkara rod. As I am new to the sport altogether and after researching for my needs for travel I chose Tenkara and it so happens at the time I was finalizing my research and decision, a bicycle bag brand Swift Industries was doing a pack/rod collaboration with Tenkara Rod Co. With the purchase, it included the pack that can be worn around the waste or strapped onto a bicycle handlebar. The rod is the Sawtooth which I understand is a 5:5 rod but I see most people use a 6:4. This is my first rod so I don't know any difference. Also included is 5x tippet, a 10.5" furled line and 3 starter flies. I have not bought any supplemental equipment but I think some more flies, tippet and lines should be on order. 

Art

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 10:21:47 AM UTC-4, robert mills wrote:
 yeah we went to the masemore water trail (where there is a parking lot), and went up river from there. You may want to stop into backwater, Theo was great, and the shop has all the flies you'll need. I'd offer to meet you there, but I think I have something planned but I may blow it off, will let you know if that changes.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Masemore+Water+Trail/@39.6113473,-76.6850242,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89c86dd20a102059:0xe148ea6acc8c31e9!8m2!3d39.6113473!4d-76.6828302

 I've fished tenkara all over the world and I think you'll find its simplicity enjoyable, although they are not as versatile as a western fly rod and the casting technique is entirely different. a western fly rod can do everything a tenkara rod can, a tenkara rod just does the things it can do better, pack really small and have an ultra delicate presentation for example.

You'll be dead drifting weighted nymphs mostly, treat your tenkara rod like a euro nymphing rig and you should have fun, plenty of videos on youtube about that technique. You may want to also try trowing dry flies in riffles, but talking with a buddy who guides up there (and who I completely forgot to call before going up there) most of the bugs have been washed out with the high current so you may also want to try streamer fishing, although that is better done with a traditional rod.

What rod did you go with? I'm a big fan of the Tenkara USA Sato as an all arounder but I left mine with a guide in Argentina a few years back and picked up a dragontail hellbender and a komodo. I've landed some 18in+ fish with the hellbender, and the komodo seems to be a good all arounder, although a bit over powering for 4-6in fish. I've also got a little 6ft diawa micro fishing rod that is about the size of a wizards wand when packed, great for tossing in my nathan's running pack. I used to run 7miles to lake needwood and fish the outflow there while I cooled down, and then run back after fishing for a bit.

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 9:59:03 AM UTC-4, Worapong Soodsamai wrote:
Going to go this Wednesday afternoon instead. I rode the bike out to pond of giants area on the C&O yesterday. I am new to fly fishing in general and have opted to start with Tenkara and yesterday was my 2nd time using it. Caught a handful of bluegill. Could you tell me what access area you used at Big Gunpowder? I chose Tenkara for my travels which are mainly by motorcycle as well as bicycle and for car trips like this Wednesday because I am taking a friend as well its a none issue as it fits in a 4runner just fine. I'll monitor the water levels hopefully it is not as much in a few days. I also hear that Big Gunpowder can get crowded especially on the weekends and have found suggestions that Little Falls and Little Gunpowder are a good alternative.

Art

On Monday, August 27, 2018 at 9:35:10 AM UTC-4, robert mills wrote:
sorry didn't see this, we went saturday, something like 1000-1730.

 stopped by backwater and got the scoop, good shop. We had fun but caught very little, seemed like nobody was really catching anything except I ran across a guy as I was leaving and saw him have two takes on a caddis in less than five minutes. I think we had one 12in brown and three or four small brookies landed.

The water was at something like 250cfs, so it was fast for the GP. The 12inch brown was caught on a 3wt single hand spey rig tossing a size 4 weighted sculpin pattern with a medium sink t head, We were using it to get across the stream and fish the other bank, then swing downstream and fish below on the bank I was on. The brookies we caught two on a red copper john using a tenkara rod set up for sighter nymphing. My wife hooked a few on a gummy worm on the tenkara rig then we swapped to a grey mop fly when she lost the worm and had similar luck.

On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 11:14:12 PM UTC-4, Worapong Soodsamai wrote:
what time are you going? I was thinking of going this weekend as well. I'm from DC


On Friday, August 24, 2018 at 1:14:53 PM UTC-4, robert mills wrote:
Hi Guys, 

Looking at hitting gunpowder tomorrow, but where do I go? Never been up there and am not familiar with the area, any suggestions?

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/b31a3706-d281-456e-9881-c85572acaf1e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment