Friday, September 21, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Coming from California

Thought I'd update this since it's been 3 years and 11 days since. I ended up fishing the tidal basin between Basin drive and the Jefferson Memorial. Two birds, one stone. Also, two fish, one fly. Caught two small stripers on a clouser after no-luck with top-water on either side of Ohio drive bridge (not sure if that's the name) for two hours or so. All of that in sight of the Washington monument was a pretty great feeling. 

I'm revisiting this now because I'm coming back out in a month (October 23rd through the 27th). I'm also bringing a colleague along who wants to fish while there (he's been to DC many times and so has seen the sights). I'm thinking we'll want to fish the tidal basin again - just for the feeling of it - and then probably travel out somewhere and see something new. We'll have multiple days (evenings actually) to fish which will be nice. 

Any thoughts? Any trout?

Also, I see District Angling as the first thing to pop-up on google. Is it worth booking a guided trip given the short fishable hours? 

Thanks guys!

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 2:16:47 AM UTC-7, Brian Boomer wrote:
Hi all! I live in California and happily call the Kings and Kern rivers in the Central Sierra's my regular fishing spots. I will be headed out to DC for a business trip (I work for a college and am meeting up with the National Science Foundation) - I fly in on September 16th - get there about 4pm - stay the 17th - in conference from 8-5 - and then leave the afternoon of the 18th after a half day conference. It's a major bummer that my first trip to the nation's capital has to be so short-lived. Of course, I want to see all the tourist attractions but my first thought when hearing about the trip? Where am I going to fish? That's how I stumbled upon this group, which, from the little I've read seems like a really cool thing - I wish they had beerties where I'm from! 

Anywho, on to my reason for posting here. I am wondering what advice I can get from you all as being totally new to the area. Further, I suppose, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in hitting the water with me - or will be in the same area at the same time? I'm betting my only likely time to fish will be on the evening of the 17th. I'll be staying at the Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn and I've noticed from your awesome map that it's relatively close to the "Pentagon Marina Upper Inlet" and across the Potomac from the "C&O Canal Outlet." 

Should I be trying one of these spots?

Should I take my 5wt (9') trout outfit or bass (7'11") 10wt outfit? Most of my gear is extremely light in comparison (2-4wt).

Do you guys wade in these locations? Is it worth bringing waders and boots?

Anyone want to fish?

Thanks for your time,

Brian Boomer

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/fd0656e6-12d2-44a6-93a2-c0e446354ed6%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment