Monday, January 22, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Traveling by air with fly rods

I generally carry on my rods and reels (loaded with line) and basic necessities like tippet and flies.  I print out and hand carry with me the TSA page and did show it one time at BWI when my rod tube was pulled aside for separate screening.  But even then the guy said, "Oh yeah, I know fishing rods are ok, we just have to check for pool cues."  

In short, I have never run into trouble carrying on rod, reel, line, flies.  BUT I have heard enough horror stories about line and saltwater flies that in the past couple of years, I have generally checked my saltwater flies.  And sometimes, I have just packed my vest/fanny-pack with forceps/nippers in checked baggage.  Never had an issue, but I have worried about it.

I also own three 5-piece rods (with this week's addition of an 8-weight) for the express purpose of packing them in luggage because I always fear running into issues (but I haven't ever run into issues with my 4-piece rods).


On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 3:35:12 PM UTC-5, Dalton Terrell wrote:
Bob,

Here is the TSA webpage on fishing tackle: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/fishing-pole

If I recall correctly, the old version of this page used to be more specific and indicated that all flies to be carried on. Now it seems there is a relative size restriction on flies--small flies are ok but large hooks are not; your guess is as good as mine as to how they may treat large saltwater flies or streamers under this policy.

I personally haven't had a problem carrying on fly rods and reels at least 6-8 trips a year, but have a fishing buddy who was forced to check his reels or throw away his leader/line/backing at the security checkpoint; presumably because he could choke someone with it?

Dalton

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/6e12e530-8a18-467c-a6e4-1eee4a8f2325%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment