Wednesday, January 10, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: New Zealand South Island

Hi all, Once, again, thank you for the recommendations.  We got back from NZ a week ago and I am just starting to settle back into the sedentary office life.  So for an on the clock break!  

I ended up going out on the Mataura River with Casey Cravens of wildangler on Christmas Eve.  (BTW, Christmas doesn't feel so much like Christmas in 70 degree NZ).  Casey just got around to downloading some of his pictures from the last few weeks and forwarded me some lower res versions.  He is hoping to get me the high res versions when he has some down time.  

We rented a certified, self contained camper van which enabled us to freedom camp in some pretty cool and wild places.  Basically, we had a tiny toilet on board for emergencies.  If I were to do this trip again, I would want to make it more fishing centric as we camped in some awesomely fishy-looking spots, but I tried really hard to not make this a fishing trip since, you know, it was my honeymoon and not a fishing trip. That's not to say I didn't fish some.  I'll spare you all of my travel details and instead focus on the three distinct outings I made.  


We decided to meet Casey between Dunedin and Queenstown at his club's angling hut on Christmas Eve.  Casey suggested staying at a place called Piano Flats the night before.  We got there early and took a hike along the shores of the Waikaia River.  I carried my rod and a few flies just in case.  I spotted two good sized browns covering a good swath of still water.  They were rising periodically so I worked them with a couple smaller flies.  A caddis and a tiny royal wulff.  No interest in the caddis, but I was able to get one to aggressively turn to the wulff twice before I dropped the fly on his head.  The fun was done.  We came back later to take a cleansing dip in the frigid water, sans fishing gear, only to find six or seven rising trout in a nice hole.  Oh well.

The next morning we met Casey at his hut.  Emily wasn't feeling like fishing, so she brought a blanket and a good book.  I promised her I'd go on as many runs as she wanted as a thank you for letting me use a day of our trip on fishing.  Casey took us up to a nice remote section of the Mataura River.  The water was everything you'd expect of NZ; gin clear water with beautiful, greenish-blue holes.  

They are have a super low water summer right now, so Casey had warned me that he had been having mixed luck and it would take some awesome casting to get on some fish. For those who have fished with me, you know casting isn't really a strength of mine.  I guess fishing isn't either.........   Casey did tell me we could nymph riffles and runs to better entice those fish which are visually spooked in clear water, but he and I both agreed that we would rather sacrifice numbers for a good dry fly take.  So we set off with small beetles and beetles with willow grub droppers.  

We saw a decent number of fish that were holding right under us tight to shore.  I found it quite challenging to get down and get a good cast with limited false casting and or gusty wind, but managed a few.  I spooked many fish, got refused by others, and was just about to give into the nymph when we stumbled on a pool that was sheltered from the current by a downed willow tree.  We watched at least four good trout consistently sipping at the surface so up I stepped.  I methodically worked my casts closer and closer to the fish in order to see how far we could move them.  I got the first trout to move with a cast a couple of feet above and three feet from him.  He opened his mouth and then turned back.  I dropped it right back in.  He took it!!!  I set the #$% out of him....I got excited.  broke him off.  He surprisingly moved to the back of the pool, but was sipping again within 10 minutes.  I worked another trout in the are and had another take.  I wait and gently lifted the rod this time.  Fish on!  We were treated to an acrobatic display.  It was truly inspiring...BUT it ended up with another break off.  I was honestly happy just to tango with these fish, but of course I wanted to land one.  After taking a lunch break to let things calm down, I went back at it.  I laid a perfect cast down and had another take.  The fish fought hard, went on a few runs, but eventually found the net.  Amazingly, he had my beetle hanging from his mouth as well as another beetle with a willow grub dropper!  The first fish!  It's not often I catch a fish that I previously had broken off so I thought this was pretty neat.

We continued to fish for a few more hours with some more action and eventually I called it a day.  We wanted to drive a few hours north that night and I felt bad that Emily was probably quite bored.  Casey would have likely stayed out all night.  It was a great time and pretty country. 


I didn't fish again until our second to last night.  We camped next to a swollen Eglinton River.  Not expecting much, I threw on a Galloup's Dungeon variation that I had tied before leaving and swung it through the only somewhat "calm" water.  Wham!  The fly was smacked by a bruiser of a brown.  I did everything wrong in fighting this fish.  In short, I let him make a run at my feet......my feet that were firmly unmoving.  Of course he popped off with the slackline.  This fish was everything I could dream about and more.  It will certainly fuel me to plan a return trip sometime.  

All in all, I would highly recommend NZ if you enjoy the outdoors. The fishing seems to be plentiful and the beauty is endless.  The people are great and the coffee is above average and everywhere.  Find any excuse you can to visit, as long as you don'y mind 25+ hours of travel!


Gregg



On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 9:32:18 AM UTC-4, Gregg DiSalvo wrote:

Okay Folks, So I am in the early stages of planning a South Island Honeymoon in December and of course would like to do a little fishing.  Of course I'd love this trip to be only fishing with helicopters, backpacking, and camping, but as this is a honeymoon with somebody who only humors my addiction, I'd probably only do a one day guide and recreation DIY on the side of the road.  We are doing a camper van and driving around with no destinations set in stone yet, so any recommendations would be great.  

Also, as much as I like catching, I actually enjoy seeing her catch fish more. I know NZ is pretty technical and she is very much a beginner, but if there are any recommendations for place and guides that specialize in the beginner, that would be great.  After all, the Trouts rec in Colorado was great for that and she scored the fish of the day!

Thanks guys,

Gregg

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/a6dcf811-6716-401a-90ed-dec6bf7ac2df%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment