Tuesday, January 30, 2018

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Fish Kill in the SNP section of the Hazel River?

I first fished the upper section of the Hazel River (from the point the park begins to the two decent sized falls upstream) a few years ago. It wasn't the most productive stream in the area, but I was still able to land a handful of brook trout. I've since been back a handful of times with similar results except the last two times I went.

The 2nd to last time I fished there (about a year and a half ago) I didn't catch anything and didn't see any trout. I didn't think much of it at the time and moved on to an nearby stream and had better luck.

I returned this last weekend after a few warm days culminated in the beautiful weather we had last Saturday. I fished the entire SNP section of the river and not only did I not catch anything, I also did not see a single trout, fallfish, dace, or other minnow. Every pool, seam, and eddy looked completely devoid of life. The water itself was crystal clear, however. I've fished all over the SNP for more than 15 years and I've never seen anything like it in an SNP stream that was big enough for fish.

So, has anyone had any luck on the Hazel River recently? If not, are there any known issues with that stream?

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/89dad12d-418c-4056-91fa-70c96bb7bf54%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment