Thursday, August 3, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Rod Recommendations - best value 8-weight

I have a TFO Clouser series 8wt and love it.  $210.  Leaves a lot of room for buying a nice reel and line.  You'll have no problem casting any bass flies and I've used it in saltwater a good bit.  My best fish on that rod was a 25" snook which is far more powerful than any bass you will find and I didn't have much trouble landing it, it tested the drag on my reel far more than the rod.  Just an anecdote in case you think saltwater will be in your future.  For the price TFO rods are usually great quality.  I will say I haven't heard many bad things about any rods once you get into the 8 wt range.  I think rod companies know that a crap design will be exposed badly at that weight.


On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 10:30:59 AM UTC-4, Andrew LaVigne wrote:
TPFR'ers - I've had a gap in my rod selection for the last year after breaking a terrible/cheap LL Bean 7-weight on a float trip last year. I've got 5 weights, and I've got a 9-weight that I like (Orvis Access), but the 9 feels like overkill when I'm fishing the shenandoah and other smallmouth water. I have thought about getting another 7 weight, but for the bigger stuff I'd like to throw at the bass, I think an 8 is my best choice. Open to suggestion, though...

I am budget-limited - $450 is about as much as I can swing on the rod, but not looking to go cheap just to go cheap. Wish I could go get a super-high-end Sage or the new H3, but it's 

SO: what's your favorite 8-weight in the affordable-to-mid price range? 


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/3137882d-95a1-4c3d-91c6-da39fea9ae82%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment