Friday, August 4, 2017

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: 8 weight lines

I'm a big fan of the Rio Outbound Short integrated or Orvis Bank Shot (what I use on my 7'11" 8wt). 

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 4, 2017, at 12:00 PM, Connor Donovan <donovac@gmail.com> wrote:

If Rio still makes that Smallmouth line, that'd be my recommendation.  Great in the heat, rides high, and man does that line want to shoot.  It makes for a serviceable trout line in shoulder seasons but not in the winter. 

If it's in good condition, save the GPX.  Use it for the coldwater.  

On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 11:00:26 AM UTC-4, Barracuda wrote:
I've been using a Scientific Anglers GPX 8 weight line but have slowly realized it's not the best line choice for me -- it's an all-purpose line but my (lack of) fly casting skills means I'm not getting much distance with big wind-resistant poppers or weighted flies like Clousers and beadhead woolly buggers (let alone Claw-dads).

There are a fair number of lines out there to throw big/heavy flies. The slight catch is that the other thing I'd like to do with this line is fish a double-nymph/indicator rig on my once-a-year west coast steelhead trip. I know these are different uses but I can't bring myself to getting a special heavy nymph/indicator line for as little as I fish it. 

IOW, I'm looking mainly for a smallmouth rod to cast poppers and weighted heavy flies, but I'd like to be able to mend it at least somewhat.

Two of the lines I'm considering are Rio's Big Nasty and Scientific Anglers Mastery Titan Long. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Or other suggestions?

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/58b6da52-58a1-4879-8ee8-de2ad14646ca%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment