Saturday, August 5, 2017

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Rod Recommendations - best value 8-weight

I've actually heard good things about the Fenwick Aetos rods.  Did Sage discontinue the Bolt and the Approach as well?  The Bolt was a nice rod and at clearance prices it would be reasonable.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Sat, Aug 5, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Andrew LaVigne <andrewrlavigne@gmail.com> wrote:
Man, excellent feedback from this group. 

Appreciate the thoughts on the 7 weight vs 8 weight - I've had that problem in my head for a while. Still torn on that, although leaning more towards the 8 - I'll likely fill in the 6 and 7 down the line, especially if I find myself somewhere closer to bigger trout water. 

The feedback on rods was great, everybody's got their favorites. Right now, if it's full price, I'm torn between the TFO BVK and the Sage Motive. However, Sage is discontinuing a bunch of rods, and at a big discount, might be hard to avoid...

Really wishing our Friendly Neighborhood Sage Dealer was open right about now.

 
On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 4:23:52 PM UTC-4, Lane Thurgood wrote:
OK, I can't say that I have a favorite in that category, but right now I am very intrigued by one that fits your bill.  About two years ago, St Croix introduced the Mojo Bass fly rod in 7, 8, and 9 weights.  They are all 7'11".  They are $150.

What intrigues me?  The rod won "Best of Show" in the fly rod category at ICAST and it's a pretty nice price.

So if I'm intrigued, why haven't I pulled the trigger?  Because I don't really need one (I already have two very nice 7- weights and two very nice 8-weights).  And I want every inch of 9 feet when I'm fishing a rod of that size on the Potomac or the Bay.  And it's a two-piece which limits where I can take it.  And it only comes with a cloth rod sack. (The last reason is easily overcome with a cheap case.)

So I don't need one but I am intrigued and quite possibly might pull the trigger if I find myself with an extra Benjamin or two lying around.  And for a guy like you who is eventually going to (let's face it) get both a 7 and an 8, it's tough to beat the price (at the very least for a backup/loaner rod).
 


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/12f7b6fb-65d6-469c-84f6-5bf08ba01adc%40googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAK8gq%2BGZ%2BBX%2B-TcbW1vnYsR39ZjNQMbg_sihJzSdQm-3Gv6Y0A%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment