Sunday, August 6, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Montana - Sweetwater Guide School Recap

Hey there everyone,

Got back a few weeks ago from Montana and wanted to share my experience at fly-fishing guide school with Sweetwater Travel. 

The first question I've been asked is was how was it? Short answer, it was one of the most fun weeks I've had in years. I learned a ton, got on some cool fish, met some super fishy guys and got a brief glimpse into the life of a full-time fly fishing guide. 

The second question I've been asked is, why did I go to guide school? I'm not planning on quitting my day job right now to become a full-time guide, though I can't say that the idea isn't a very tempting one sometimes. I went for three reasons: 
  1. I just bought a fishing raft (Outcast 1300) and wanted to learn the proper techniques for rowing it around the rivers of the Mid-Atlantic. 
  2. I wanted to learn the skills I need to get more involved in teaching the sport and guiding members of NCC-TU on our outings, veterans with our new Project Healing Waters Chapter and my friends who aren't avid fly-fishermen/women. 
  3. To fish the insane river that is the Bighorn.
Sweetwater Guide School is held in the Spring and Fall on the Yellowstone River in Paradise Valley outside of Livingston MT, right near Sweetwater Travel headquarters. But in the summers they head to the Bighorn River, a world-class tailwater. We stayed at Cottonwood Camp, a nice, if rustic, campground with cabins, tent sites and a fly shop. If you ever get a chance to stay there, definitely take advantage, it's well worth the trip. 

Getting our boats ready to roll at Cottonwood Camp


I arrived at camp on Saturday evening and met our instructors, Ron, Steve and Josh. After chowing down on some freezer pizza I was off to the Bighorn, which is about a quarter mile from camp, for some late night spey fishing. I bought a 14fter last year and haven't fished suitable water for it much so it was fun to take it out just to mess around and try out some of my spey casts like the double spey and the snap T. 


Our first full day of school was spent mostly on dry land. First was taking a first-aid and CPR course, which was an entertaining half morning. The instructor for that was a fly-fishermen and firefighter/paramedic from Casper, WY who's been teaching with Sweetwater for years. I'm already WFA certified so it served as more of a refresher but I still came away with some useful stuff to know. The second half of the day we learned to tie guide flies. Nymphs, streamers and worms. Nothing too flashy but stuff that will catch fish. I'm still a beginner in the fly-tying department so it was a good chance for me to pick up some tips and get more comfortable on the vise. 


Tying up some midges with our instructor Steve


Monday was our first full day on the water. I'd never rowed a drift boat for more than a couple of minutes before so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. With all the snowmelt still coming off the mountains, the river was running at 11000 CFS, way beyond its typically flows that time of year of 2500. The first order of business was getting the boat in the water. We learned to launch the boat, how to walk it downstream to clear the ramp, how to position it to get clients in and out (about 80% of a guide's business are older, elderly clients, at least according to our instructors), how to anchor up and how to row off the shore and into the main current.


Prepping to launch from the Afterbay Dam


We launched from the Yellowtail Afterbay Dam with our instructor, Josh, initially on the oars, one guy fishing off the front, one off the back and the third student watching Josh as he explained reading currents, positioning the boat and the various oar strokes needed to hold the boat in fishing position. I'm not a big nymph fisherman and all my studying for the CI exam has prepared me for casting tight loops with a single dry fly. So things were a bit touch and go at the beginning when I was out there with a double nymph rig, giant bobber and huge split shot. After getting tangled a few times I adjusted and started throwing the big ugly wide loops that you need for that kind of rig and away we went. 


Getting rigged up with my two Marine buddies Wes and Justin and our instructor Josh. 

Our classmates Matt, Todd and Tom are in the background with Steve.


The first two days were spent doing the same drift from the Afterbay down to the second takeout about 8 miles downstream. With the water as high as it was, we did alot of fishing from the boat, which served as good practice on the oars. My first try rowing was a bit touch and go. I spun us around a couple of times and struggled with learning the right amount of power to apply to the strokes to hold us in position. However by the end of the day Tuesday I had started to get the hang of it and was no longer constantly correcting my drift. Learning not to dig the oars down in the water but keep my hands low and the oar blades high in the water was crucial. 


On the oars


Wednesday was a crazy day. One of the things you learn at guide school beyond rowing a drift boat is how to run a jet boat. Alot of Sweetwater Grads head up to Alaska to guide for a season or two and jet boats are the main method of transportation in the 49th state, so Sweetwater makes sure we have the basic tools necessary to run these boats. We spent a couple of hours on basic jet-motor maintenance and then got a chance to take the boat out and run it on the river. 


My buddy Justin running the jetboat.


After practicing running some of the narrow side channels and rescuing someone who's gone overboard (in this case a floatation device, it was off to the Bighorn Reservoir for some carp and bass fishing. 


Bighorn Canyon Reservoir, super pretty and filled with walleye, carp, sturgeon and bass.


Ron, our instructor and the head of Sweetwater Guide School, took us up this massive canyon reservoir to find Carp cruising for a meal. After a few fish refused to cooperate we finally found a school of them in a small cove that seemed ready to play. I've only tried carp fishing once before in the C&O canal, with no luck, so this was my first real chance to chase after these big fish. Sight casting to big bruisers was alot of fun and we all had a blast. 



My buddy Wes with a nice Carp, Ron in the foreground.

Wes is now guiding on the San Juan in New Mexico.


Thursday was spent back on the Bighorn, working on our rowing and fishing techniques and picking up pointers from our instructors on guide etiquette, finding a first job, dealing with clients and what to do when the fish aren't on the bite. 


Wes on the oars as Justin throws some meat at the banks.


Final Friday as its referred to was our final test. Each student was given complete control of the boat and had to pretend that the other students were his clients. This included rigging up the rods, getting your clients in and out of the boat, making conversation, and then lastly actually guiding. My "clients" were Matt and Todd, two super fishy guys so I knew I needed to step up. We were lucky enough to get dibs on the "Meathole" one of the best holes on the river. The next hour was a blur. I was running back and forth with the net as Matt and Todd lit up fish on nymphs and worms. I kept instructing my "clients" on working different seams and runs and after another 20-30 minutes our instructor Josh kind of gave the signal it was time to move on. My turn as guide over, it was time to enjoy the river one more time and see if I could lure one of the big 20+ inchers out with some large articulated streamers. 

A decent brown trout on the streamer. 


With guide school finished, my classmates and I grilled up some steaks, had a few beers, shared a few laughs and celebrated being "graduates" of Sweetwater Guide School. Saturday we would get our "debriefs" and, hopefully, our diplomas. 


Ron, Steve and Josh were great instructors and taught us all a ton. I had a great time meeting my classmates, especially my boatmates Justin "Danger" and Wes "Zigzag". I learned a ton, got on some cool fish and came away much more confident in my abilities as a fisherman, rower and aspiring guide. If you have any interest in attending or have any questions, feel free to send me an email. I couldn't recommend the school more highly. 


As usual with my trips, I made a short film so if you have a few minutes, check it out!: https://vimeo.com/225347521


Tight Lines,


Andrew



 

















--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/4e4a4e7b-66cc-4725-b844-0bc72fd56f11%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment