Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Rod Recommendations - best value 8-weight

Most of the bass tournament rules state rods must be under 8’ in length, hence the 7’11” rods being manufactured by companies like Sage, St. Croix, Loomis, Redington, etc. in an attempt to get anglers to use their rods in these tournaments.

The problem is these same tournament regulations usually state that there are also no fly rods allowed.

R

From: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Ben H <benmholt@gmail.com>
Reply-To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 at 4:22 PM
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com>
Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Rod Recommendations - best value 8-weight

I've been doing some research on mid price value selections myself as I'm looking to replace my old 6 wt. I like carrying a 6 and an 8 with me on bass float trips. An 8 is great as a big gun for warmwater fishing.

As others have said, TFO in the BVK model gets great reviews for 8 wt. The Douglas DXF is also highly rated as a mid price rod ($350). 

Sage is replacing their Approach series with the new Foundation. Heard good things about the Foundation if you want a value rod that is high quality (also American made, unlike the other 2 mentioned above). You'll see the more discounted Approach rods now that they are discontinued. Mossy Creek Flyshop has the approach discounted $100 right now.

I've also seen really good reviews about Fenwick Aetos if you want to keep the price point below $200.

Per rod length, a lot of manufacturers have "bass" models at the 7'11" size. Most bass tournaments restrict rod length below 8' and they also assume most of those rods are being used from bass boats where not as much length is needed. I do most of my bass fly fishing is either wading or floating in canoe/kayak and prefer a 9' rod since I am usually low to the water and not in an elevated position like standing in a bass boat.


On Thursday, August 3, 2017 at 10:30:59 AM UTC-4, Andrew LaVigne wrote:
TPFR'ers - I've had a gap in my rod selection for the last year after breaking a terrible/cheap LL Bean 7-weight on a float trip last year. I've got 5 weights, and I've got a 9-weight that I like (Orvis Access), but the 9 feels like overkill when I'm fishing the shenandoah and other smallmouth water. I have thought about getting another 7 weight, but for the bigger stuff I'd like to throw at the bass, I think an 8 is my best choice. Open to suggestion, though...

I am budget-limited - $450 is about as much as I can swing on the rod, but not looking to go cheap just to go cheap. Wish I could go get a super-high-end Sage or the new H3, but it's 

SO: what's your favorite 8-weight in the affordable-to-mid price range? 


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/56c5dba3-7d78-4b40-b1ed-a97755d83d9b%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment