Friday, February 26, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Potential spey outfit - comments?

By the way, I have used both a 570 grain Skagit head and a 510 grain Skagit head with that rod.  Everyone's casting style is different, but my guess is that 540 might be the sweet spot (at least it would be for me). 

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 2:58:36 PM UTC-5, Yambag Nelson wrote:
I have that rod.  It is a great rod.  Very versatile and can throw both Skagit and scandi heads very well. 

I don't have that particular lamson but I do have another one of their reels and like it a lot.  I don't know how much the guru is but when I bought my rod they threw in a Skagit head for $330 total (I think).  So you are getting the reel, running line, backing tips and leader for an additional $320.  Seems solid but not a steal.  Like I said though, really good rod for the money as long as you don't care what it looks like.  It is a good casting tool but not the most attractive rod to say the least.

On Friday, February 26, 2016 at 2:29:07 PM UTC-5, Jim White wrote:
Good afternoon,

Looking at a few spey outfits, one of which is described below.


Rod - Echo TR7130 (13' 7wt)

Reel - Waterworks-Lamson Guru 4


Rod (w/tube), reel, backing, Airflo Ridge running line, Airflo Compact Skagit head, two Airflo sink tips, and a RIO leader. $650.

Reviews for the rod seem solid, reviews for the reel seem all over the place.

Anyone have experience with either/both?

Thanks,
Jim

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/4bffd4e8-3f21-4af8-ae8c-241ae9e5cd7d%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment