Sunday, February 21, 2016

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: First SNP trip of 2016

Were you driving a black Tacoma 4-door by chance?  We intended to hit one stream, but ended up driving further down skyline to find one that didn't already already have a Tacoma parked by it.  

And yeah, I didn't want to "big deal" it but Beth ended up with 54 literally in only a few hours of fishing (about 8:30 - 12:00).  Every time I looked around for her she had a fish on.  I had probably 1/2 that many.  That's a good day for us during the main season, save the end of Feb with snow on the ground.  The "doubler" I posted there has happened to me 3 times now, but one fish usually comes off before I get them in (since they are fighting each other and usually free up enough slack to get off).  I had no waders on, just wet socks and thus did not spend much time in the stream.  I was also using barbless tiemco 103bl hooks mostly and also some others with barbs mashed down.  Everything swam away with gusto -- 

If anyone is looking for a good dry/soft hackle style hook those 103bls are nice.  They're extremely light, absurdly sharp, barbless, and hold very well (even better than most barbless hooks I've used).  The only disadvantage is that you can't go pulled hard when you get stuck in a tree -- they WILL bend, but you can't have it all ;).  

Bob:  I think you're right about the reel choice.  I had some martin "tuna cans" a while ago with that tooth-caliper drag.  I did NOT like those.  They provided so little tension you could basically bird nest 'em by pulling line off of the reel to fish.  I can deal with most clicker drags which at least provide enough tension to store the line effectively, just not those.  The old medalists seem to be much better, and more adjustable.  A lot of people like those on the old fenwicks. 

Gene

On Sunday, February 21, 2016 at 10:24:49 AM UTC-5, Charlie Church wrote:
Parker and I were out there yesterday as well. Virtually every pool was a fish rising factory. Definitely a good time.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/ca1655bc-1fbb-400c-af65-cb62bd52a004%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment