Friday, December 18, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Need tons of help.

I think you have a great start to your arsenal with those two rods.  If I could only have two rods around here, they would be a 4- and 8-weights, so you are right there in the mix.  

I went to the International Fly-Tying Symposium last month and listened to Bob Clouser.  He said, "People always ask me how big a clouser I can get away with on a 5-weight."  In a nutshell, he said you could get away with the smallest clousers with extra small eyes, but the 7-weight handled that size just as well plus more.  Obviously, even more so an 8-weight, which is exactly Gene's point.  And Bob made the same point Gene did about courtesy to the fish.  I do almost all of my Potomac fishing with an 8-weight, from sinking lines with weighted shad flies to floating lines with big wind-resistant poppers and half-and-halfs.  When I chase bass (either smallmouth or largemouth), I am not throwing size 10s, I am generally throwing size 2s and up on an 8-weight.  

Although I have 9- and 10-weights for the saltwater, I still do a fair amount of that with an 8-weight in the Chesapeake with 1/0 and 2/0 gurglers on a floating line and half-and-halfs on a sinking line. The 8-weight is a very very versatile rod.

Basically, I agree with Gene.

On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 8:24:07 AM UTC-5, Lammont Ervin wrote:
I've only recently started taking fly fishing seriously. I've used a fly rod for maybe a year but I've practically halted all of my bass fishing because fly fishing has taken my interest way more. I have a 5wt and I'm picking up an 8wt in the next couple days. (5wt is a Yellowstone 2 from Jackson Cardinal with a redington surge) (8 wt is a G loomis pescado with a tfo 425) my biggest issues is knowing what flies to use for each rod there's so many flies in the world but I'm used to to a weight system to judge what lure to use, is there any way to know which fly to use on a specific wt rod thanks for the help. - Eric Ervin

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/ef299539-1223-483b-8a55-1095d94c2345%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment