Monday, December 28, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Potomac at night

Well, just got home from an interesting outing on the Potomac.  Left the Bolling AFB marina around 4:00 or so, headed down towards the Woodrow Wilson.  Cut out of the channel near Blue Plains, went in near the pier.  Saw a bunch of returns on my fishfinder, along with some topwater hits, so I threw out my anchor and cast around for a while with a Clouser grey/white.  No hits, and it was dark at this point so it was tough to cast.  I'm still new to fly fishing, and I rely a lot on visual cues to nail my cast, so doing it at night without a headlamp was interesting.

After a while I pulled up my anchor and headed further south.  I wanted to check out the Spoils, and practice getting there in the dark.  I've made that run from Blue Plains to the Spoils a handful of times, but only in daylight and I wanted to get my nighttime visuals lined up.  It was a little chilly, but I made it past Fox Ferry Point with no issues, actually found a really nice hole to pass through the old pier.  

Once I got to the spoils it started raining and I started losing morale, so I turned around pretty quickly.  Made it back past the point and headed back to the marina without further issues.  

Honestly not that exciting from a fishing point of view, but it was a lot of fun playing around in the dark and getting more familiar with the Potomac.  

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/b7046c88-528d-4915-b22d-4467c605dc27%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment