Wednesday, December 16, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Costa Rica - Help!

My buddy just got back from Jaco.  They could not find a panga to fish from but used a captain-information to be PM'd once I find out who and where.  he said they cruised along next to shrimp boats and threw dead bait on spinning rods and crushed enormous jacks.  the jacks would only eat dead bait. 

If you have never been, the water is big there, not like  US east coast.  the waves are thick and it can be kinda dicey.

we fished down in Dominical off a panga and wet waded  some throwing spinning gear.

In looking at the map of Jaco, looks like there are 3 rivers that flow into the ocean.  rumor has it that snook will hangout and eat the bait fish being flushed out of the freshwater streams.

I would look in those river/ocean spots for jacks, macs, and snook.

from experience, bring everything you think you need plus a backup.  There are no places to buy gear down there. 

more to follow.



On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 at 2:15:11 PM UTC-5, Kevin Huntington wrote:
Whattup TPFR,

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the extremely mild weather.  Have a quick question to run by the group - I will be heading to Costa Rica for 4 days in early March for my to-be-brother-in-law's bachelor party. I of course have to pack the 8 weight and hit the water to some degree while I'm there.  Only one other guy in the group fly fishes at all, and I'm not sure he will want to spend any of his time fishing vs. partying & drinking.  I'm not necessarily looking to spend $500+ on an inshore/offshore boat for the day, so was hoping for something fairly easily accessible.  We are staying on the Pacific Coast side, the place is called Jaco Beach.  I also will not have a car, so that even further limits my options.  But all of that said, does anyone have any experience or advice for a shoestring budget or DIY adventure?  I only really have 1 day to fish, so trying to make it count.  I did see Brad's post from a few years ago - would love to chase sails but the money and time are two commodities I don't have this time around. So any and all input is welcome!  

Thanks in advance - stay fly!

-Kevin


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/818fca37-62a9-4845-8c95-9b717fe54641%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment