Tuesday, October 27, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Noob Question: Line Choice

+1 to Matthew's post ^^.  I'm that guy. 

Also, for about the 3rd time I have to agree with Yambag. 

What a week! 

Gene


On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 3:28:26 PM UTC-4, Matthew Longley wrote:
I'll offer a contrarian opinion for the heck of it - I wouldn't get a new line at all.

If the line you currently have is functional, I would keep using it for a while. Fly fishing is a sport of opinions, and if you are just starting you probably don't have enough experience to really have much of an opinion on this subject. I would get some more experience on your current rig, try out other people's rigs, get a feel for what you like and don't like, and make a more informed purchase later on. Most people don't do that, and it's why most people have a collection of lines they don't use, accumulated before they actually figured out what they wanted (me included).

Of course, I love buying new gear as much as the next guy, so if you have 80 bucks burning a hole in your pocket, don't let me stop you!



On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 11:49:26 AM UTC-4, DaveSurfs wrote:
Good Morning TPFR,

I'm new to fly fishing, have a 9ft 5WT TFO Rod and TFO Prism reel. The guy I bought the (used) reel from said it had a "standard 5Wt weight forward line," but unfortunately I was not smart enough to ask what kind, or how long it's been on the reel?

It seems to cast reasonably, and I've caught a few bluegill, small mouth, and large mouth bass, but with Christmas a couple months away, I was thinking of making gift giving easy for my wife and asking for a new Fly line.

With that in mind, I see all sorts of WF5Wt options from Scientific Angler, Rio, Orvis, TFO, and others at prices ranging from $29 to $100... Any thoughts on what to buy? If you have a recommendation, would you please help me understand why you recommend A vs B?

Additionally, I've seen some commentary on going up 1 weight and putting a 6WT line on a 5WT Rod? Any thoughts there?

Thanks,
Dave

I apologize if this question is covered elsewhere in the forum and my searches didn't find something that's already posted.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/0cbf6be8-4fbc-4a0c-b623-ef3644172c0a%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment