Monday, October 26, 2015

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Piney Branch - heaven on earth - report for Bruce

I wouldn't worry about crowds hiking in to a stream like Piney even on a weekend.  Beth and I are joggers in reasonably good shape and the hike up to Skyline is still strenuous...I don't care who you are.  Some are worse than others (e.g., Big Run).

The TU "Fish standing next to some dude who fishes somewhat more than you currently do" trips (they really should shorten the name, BTW) seem to occur on the drive-up streams in our experience.  I would be absolutely amazed to see TU folks taking newer folks 1.5+ miles downhill from skyline drive into one of the upper sections of stream, complete with bushwhacking. 

I'm hoping to (by next season) fish every "marked" blue line in the park.  We're up to 16 now I think we agreed upon. 

Gene

On Monday, October 26, 2015 at 7:41:44 AM UTC-4, Steven Butler wrote:
Nice! I need to follow suit and try this stream on a non-weekend day.

Tried to go to the usual spots in Madison/Rappahannock County over the weekend and it was as if I had ended up at Woodstock instead of a serene day in the SNP. Seriously, the locals were offering parking at $10 a head. Heard rumblings about some type of TU event, which was coupled with the leaf crowd.

I can't say I've ever seen 4 fly fishermen swinging flies off a bridge into a small stream in close proximity in my life, nor can I say I ever want to again. Luckily we had some family with a private stream where we could at least wet a line for chub/sun/SMB. Beautiful day, at any rate.

On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 10:53:05 AM UTC-4, Jeremy Dusina wrote:
Yesterday, based on this thread, I played hookie from work and made the trek out to Piney Branch. What a great decision!! This stream is beautiful, weather perfect, the park fall colors were great, and the fish cooperated. I was accompanied by a work colleague who had not previously fly fished. Together we landed over 70 fish - typical SNP size of 4-8 inches, but a few up to 10 inches. We could usually pull 4-5 fish from each pool. Naive is a good word.

For me, the highlight of the day was introducing a new person to fly fishing. My colleague began the day using a spinning setup and did land a few fish. After lunch, he switched to an extra fly rod I packed in and he landed around 15 with a fly rod. I had just as much fun watching/teaching a new fly fisher land his first trout as I do landing them myself! These streams can be good confidence builders for new folks.

The hike from the top was nice and, as Gene mentioned above, surely reduces the amount of traffic on the stream. Did not see a soul all day (nor any bears).

Used elk hair caddis flies the entire day, but I suspect they would have taken anything.

Jeremy

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/730cddde-0b0f-4880-a4a6-3a56eec51c2e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment