Sunday, October 25, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: New to Gravelly Point

So I followed the same suggestions included in this thread last Thurs afternoon. 2hrs after high tide had me about an hour from sundown. I walked down to check it out. I walked the bank upstream of the pier, passed some picnic tables and worked my way along the bank , to find a spot to pick my way through into shallow water. I was relatively comfortable wading along the bank. A couple spots got waist deep, but most of the way was only knee deep. I kept working closer to the outflow from Roaches Run and while a little current was flowing, it took a while to turn on I saw bait jumping a little along the parking lot side bank as i moved closer to the bridge. I also saw some breaking water against the bridge wall on airport side of the outflow. 

I cast both clousers and poppers with no bites. As the outflow turned on I saw dramatic change in current and a larger splash on the airport side in the grass approx 50 yds from the bridge. It was beyond my ability to cast, but there was clearly something there.

Ultimately, I caught 2 small large mouth bass on poppers closer to the bank, than to the main current. I was comfortable wading to about waist deep, but having never been there before, didn't press too far. If fish were biting in the current, I'd have probably pressed a little deeper, but I didn't see any reward for the risk.

I stayed past sunset and eventually put on the headlamp. No more bites, but as I walked back to the spot where I entered the water, the headlamp lit up a ton of finger sized minnows in the shallows. Clouser would definitely match the local bait, but again, there was nothing biting in the current.

I really appreciate everyone's willingness to contribute to the forum and the opportunity to learn more about the fishing resources close to us. 

Tight Lines,
Dave


 

On Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 9:16:20 PM UTC-4, Jim White wrote:
Derek,

Thanks for the tips re: low tide recon (I hadn't done that yet) and the walleye/yellow perch. Perhaps a few more visits before I give up. 

Where do you enter the water to wade? At the picnic benches between the piers and the outflow? Or at the outflow?

Although the rocks were slippery, the preferred spot for me was to enter at the benches. Then turn towards the outflow, walk up a bit and cast to the other side.

Cheers,
Jim


On Friday, October 23, 2015 at 10:13:43 AM UTC-4, Jim White wrote:
Good morning,
 
Over the past several months I've read through every post that mentions Gravelly Point and have been itching to fish there. The write-ups indicate best to be at the outflow from Roaches Run about two hours after the Alexandria high tide in dark/low light conditions. 7-8-9wt rods - two-handed best - clousers on sinking lines (or at least sink tips), cast quartering downstream and be ready for strikes on the swing.
 
Tomorrow morning (Saturday, Oct 24) look to be excellent conditions. Moon set at 0351, high tide in Alexandria at 0545, sun rise at 0727. Lines in the water at 0715 or so should be good.
 
A few weeks ago I did a recon run there and walked the area to learn where to fish. I was there at the high tide turn (middle of a bright sunny day) and was amazed at the water height and flow rate through the outflow from Roaches Run. It was clear to me that despite YouTube videos/online pics of that location I've seen I would not be wading at that location in that flow (also, I believe it is against the rules?). It was also clear to me that my single handed 9 ft 8 & 9 wt rods were going to be challenging to use against the overpass since it was backed by trees/brush. There is a partially clear area near the picnic benches where I think I can cast from but it seems a bit far from the water and landing fish will be an issue. There is also the pier which looked to be a good location to get started. However, signs prohibit fishing from the pier (the day I was there the pier was occupied with folks fishing bottom rigs for cat fish - so it may be that enforcement in this area is lax).
 
Roll cast at the outflow and hope for the best (my roll casts suck...)?
 
Fish from the pier?
 
How do I fish Gravelly Point?
 
-Jim

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/0f71b2c4-2726-4110-8250-52cfc3f3b855%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment