Thursday, May 21, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Visiting DC Area after 12 years absence -- what has changed?

Ah, the infamous, venomous mammal!  My mammalogy professor at Missouri State, as a young researcher, said that (at the time) collecting biological samples was a bit barbaric and he recalls collecting platypus with a shotgun.  I don't think they let you do that anymore.  

1.  No strange new rules, just bizarre interpretations of (apparently) old ones.  
2.  Sure -- virtually any of the tidal creeks to the Potomac will probably have some this time of year.  If you cast to enough of them you'll eventually find a feeder.  
3.  I don't know.  

Gene

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 10:15:57 PM UTC-4, Nick Bowler wrote:
OK -- I used to live in Sterling, and fish the DC metro area a lot.  But after Sept 11, I moved with my family back to where I was born -- Tasmania, Australia.  However, my wife's family is from the Baltimore area and we are returning for a family reunion at the end of July, start of August.

I plan to get a MD licence, and fish a lot of my old haunts (like the upper Potomac, Gunpowder, and a trip or two out on to the bay).  However, a lot has changed in the last decade plus!

1.  Are there any strange new rules for the upper Potomac.  I plan to wade fish for smallies and panfish.
2.  You now have snakehead.  Anywhere a shore-bound angler can go to get one?  What flies / techniques / time of day / habitat do they like.
3.  What's the current status of striper / bluefish fishing in the bay.  Again, any good spots for a shorebound angler.  Given my family reunion duties, my fishing will probably be early morning and evening -- so I would prefer to not get arrested for illegal wading.

By the way, if any of the forum members are heading down to Tasmania, I will happily take them out to my favourite haunts.  I cant guarantee fish, but there is a good chance you will see Platypus!  http://nicksfishing.blogspot.com.au/


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/4c052d53-6a39-4dcc-bde3-84aacdf30903%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment