Wednesday, May 20, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Any luck yet with Gravelly point

P.S. -- Typo's aside (I think you can figure out what I meant to type)...  I should clarify...

I have an old (1992) proCraft 180 Combo.  It's a bass-boat-like hull, that has a convtertible top and walk-though-windshield and 150hp two stroke Mariner on a jacking plate.

I have two live wells (could be good if we catch bait and then use live bait for other types of fish), and an 80lb foot-operated trolling motor on the bow that sometimes works, and sometimes gives me trouble.   

The boat is old and I've re-done almost everything on it myself, but I consider it safe and reliable, and I also have down-scanning and side-scanning sonar (for whatever that's worth).

I've spent time on different parts of the potomac over the past decade-or-so supposedly "fishing" but usually I'm just fiddling with my gear, driving around, and practicing casting...  I haven't really learned where or how to catch them.

All of that said,  I'd be happy to go out with someone who's interested in fishing with my from my boat.  As I said, I'll use a spinning rod or an ultra-light spinning rod, and I'm open to launching at gravely point or the Pentagon lagoon, and travelling anywhere from the washington marina up to just past the chain-bridge to do some fishing.


email me with your number and availability.  Although I work every day, but sometimes I'm able to cut out as early as the afternoon to get out on the water.

Hopefully you'll bring some knowledge of where and how to catch them.  I'll bring the boat, fun, and good sense of humor!

P.S. -- I'd love to learn to fly fish well and effectively, but I'll need to start by getting a decent fly-rod setup first.

None-the-less, I'm hoping that I can effectively fish some of the larger wet flys from an ultra-light spinning rod from the boat... at least that's a start!

   -Phil

On Wednesday, May 20, 2015 at 8:24:51 AM UTC-4, Philip Brown wrote:
I believe the park closes at 10:00 PM, so 8-10 PM should be OK.  Once the park is closed, the the Police will probably tell you leave, as I see them regularly go through the park at closing time
and ask people to leave.  I haven't seen them write tickets to anyone who is cooperating... that... of course, is for people using the part of fishing off of the boat launch docks.  I don't normally see anyone wading.

On that note,  I have a small boat that I sometimes launch at Gravely Point, and the number of people near the ramp sometimes scares me.   I've seen many people fishing on the docks (and I don't want to cut their lines with my boat), and I've seen little children running around and playing, sometimes in the part of the road that leads to the boat ramp, and sometimes playing in front of the ramp or in the water at the launch.

I'm always extra careful, drive really slowly, and back up to the water with my rear window down (so I can hear) and go very slowly... but the bottom line is that visibility is limited, and I pray that no-one gets hurt accidentally... not only for their sake, but also because of the state of lawyers in this country ("have you been hurt... you need to get paid).  I often get out of the truck before I start backing up, just to be sure that the area is clear, and have sometimes delayed launching until children are clear from the water.

Maybe a little off-topic, but I guess my advice to anyone wading at gravely point would be to respectful of the boat traffic at the launch, and the airport security concerns.

With that said, anyone wanna fish one evening on that area or the potomac off of a boat.  I'm contemplating going out this evening or tomorrow evening.   I have an 18 ft fish and ski, with an electric trolling motor that sometimes works and sometimes acts up.

I broke my fly rod (and was never very good at it!) so I'll be using an ultra-light spinning rod, but I'd be happy to have a guest.

P.M. me with your email and phone if interested, and maybe we can make something work.  P.S. -- I'm still learning how and where to catch fish on the river, so I've go the boat.
Hopefully you'll bring the expertise.  Any kind of fish is fine with me (I catch and release).  I just enjoy being out on the river, and after almost a decade of boating on the river and supposedly
"fishing" I figured it's about time that I finally leared where and how to actually "catch" fish too!

Sincerely,

       -Philip

On Saturday, May 16, 2015 at 2:43:22 PM UTC-4, Aaron O wrote:
Thinking about fishing between 8 and 10 tonight at Gravelly, Anyone have any luck there recently?  Stripers biting yet?

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/711b35ae-8785-414b-8bff-91e04cc23f47%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment