Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Another Carp Story

Aaron - 

1. I've been using 3X tippet. I only broke one off, but it was on the hook set and likely due to not paying attention to chaffed line. It still seems to give me enough oomph to be able to try to stop a run into a branch. I haven't experimented with heavier line, so not sure if doing 2X will make spook.

2. I don't think the C&O is tidally influenced both because of its design and because you're above the fall line. If it is, I've never noticed, and definitely haven't made any correlation to fishing conditions.

3. I've typically tried to stay 2-3 feet between fly and indicator. For the most part, when you cast to the fish, it'll take it in the first 5-10 seconds if it is interested. I've mostly had success hanging it mid-water column in front of them. It takes too long to sink to the bottom - or where I believe the bottom is most of the time - to really be able to get an accurate shot where the carp will see it. The biggest thing with the indicator is to use as small of one as possible because they will spook the fish when they land if you don't drop it like you're presenting a size 24 midge. I'm going to try yarn next time I'm out there. If you're having a lot of trouble with spooking with the indicator, try casting a bit beyond the fish and dragging the fly into position. The dragging never seemed to spook, but the plop landing did. The only thing I noticed with color of indicator (I haven't used many different colors) is that the carp started to rise to, then refuse, a white one. Maybe they thought it was bread at first? I've generally used fluorescent colors because that's what came in the package I bought for other purposes. Lastly, if/when you encounter a fish feeding along the edge of the bank at your feet, you'll have one shot. Either take off the indicator or slide it WAY up the leader so it doesn't touch the water. It WILL spook. If you pull the fly away before it eats, you'll rarely get a second chance too. I usually don't even cast to these fish and just drop the fly into the water. I try to get it a foot or so in front of its nose and just let it go to the bottom. 9 times out of 10, it'll swim right over and suck it up. If you pull the fly away too soon or reposition it after it sees it, you'll rarely get a second chance.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Jeff


On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Aaron O <osheaar@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Jeff,   I'm hoping to go there Wednesday morning to try some myself. Got a couple questions I'm hoping you can help with.

1:  with the size 12 to 14 bead head soft hackle your using, what size tippet would you suggest.  I'm not the best fisherman so I don't want to go too light but I obviously don't want to spook them more than I already will.

2:  any noticeable difference with the tides?  Any better for the canal?  I know it's better with moving tide in Potomac and I'm guessing the same for he canal.

3:  any suggestions with distance between fly and strike indicator?  I'm sure he tide height and clarity has a lot to do with it but any thoughts would help.  Aiming for bottom dragging or middle of water?  Etc...  I'm also guessing that smaller and duller colors would be better.


Any help would be appreciated.

Aaron

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/9bf75e08-ef15-4cb6-98e7-93f6817c9c29%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CANiFxBzfgmNOHK3P7j2qje8F6wWHAK7YwMcL2yTneZ_3Sr1Wzg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment