Thursday, May 30, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Illegal to wade Gravelly Point

Also add -- anyone who fishes GP really should send at least a concerned message about this.  Remick received a ticket, but it could have just as easily been me or anyone else out there.  

Law is law, but there's a certain unethical feeling when the officer had to look up the regulations in a book in order to determine how to craft a ticket.  If NPS doesn't even understand the law well, it seems to me that a simple warning follow up with better signage at GP would suffice.  

Gene

On Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:03:46 PM UTC-4, TurbineBlade wrote:
Thanks for posting this Rich -- I just sent a quick message.  

Another question is this -- if wading rock creek is illegal except for the purpose of saving a drowning person, how is it that DC government (DDOE) water quality is able to electroshock 3 sections of it every year legally?  Are they in violation of the law for doing this?  I worked there for 2 years and never even gave a thought to whether wading was legal or not.  

Gene

On Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:08:55 AM UTC-4, FlyTimesDC wrote:
So last night I was fishing the outgoing tide at gravelly point around 2:30 am when a park officer called me out of the water saying the park closed at 12 (I've never heard of the inlet our outflow ever being closed but left without resistance). He then asked to see my license, which I promptly gave him, and we went back to his car. I'm pretty sure he was looking for any excuse to ticket me, because he then sat in his car for about 10 minutes reading up on ordinances and rules. When he returned, he gave me back my licenses and a $130 fine for "Entering the Potomac". Umm, what? I have a court date in June and plan on fighting this. There are no signs or anything else to indicate that A) wading is illegal in the inlet and B) that the inlet is closed at 12am. Curious to hear y'all's thoughts. I've heard of people being hassled by airport police at Gravelly but this is a tad ridiculous.

Thanks,
Remick


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/7ff8bc29-fc35-4032-a1cc-f6b0baea47be%40googlegroups.com?hl=en-US.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment