Friday, May 31, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Rappahannock River Fishing Trip 05-31-13

I spent five hours on the Rappahannock River this morning.  I started at 7 and launched from Motts Run.  I paddled a few miles up stream (exhausting work).  The fishing started off really slow.  I tried various flies.  I caught the first fish on a Shenk's White Streamer in size 4.  It was a small bluegill.  I did get a nice hit earlier in the morning on a Shannon's Streamer but I didn't get a hook set.  Finally, about 10:30 the bite turned on.  I caught several nice smallmouth bass that fought hard.  The best fish was photographed and I will attach a photo.

Streamers:  Shenk's White in size 4:   1 bluegill
                  Shannon's Streamer in 2 ot:  1 Large hit
                  Crayfish Pattern in Size 4:  No hits

Top Water:  Yellow Popper size 4:  Several nice smallmouth and a few nice bluegill.

The fish were tending to hold in the current in the main part of the pool or the tail end of the pool.  I didn't get a single hit at the head of any of the pools that I fished.  These fish didn't seem to mind the sun as most of the fish were caught in the main areas of the river not in the shade.  These fish were definitely looking for current.

The water temp  is in the upper 70s.  It is running clear and at a perfect level.



--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/ac3a4651-51c8-44a0-b47b-797f2c629662%40googlegroups.com?hl=en-US.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment