Thursday, May 30, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Good Day Today

My experience from a few outings in the Tidal Basin this spring is that you see much more of them in the heat of the day. This doesn't mean they are more "active" I suppose. 
On an incoming tide during mid morning or midday you can see them roil, come up for air and whatever else they do near the inlet. I haven't seen the same during the evening high tide.

 At high tide, in the north section of the basin (near Washington Monument) I have seen dozens stacked up sunning (or breathing, or just teasing me) midday, but less so in the evening during high tide. My exposure to each possible "condition" (combinations of high or low tide, mid day sun/ or evening, inlet, or north end) is about 1 instance. So this may be a  meaningless observation. It also so may have a lot to do with how easy they are to spot. 

 I also know that coming up to breathe/ sun and feeding are separate activities in the snakehead world, so it may be that the times you don't see them are the times they are active and catchable. 

On Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:20:40 AM UTC-4, HeaveToo wrote:
My Snakehead didn't spawn yet and she was full of row.  It seems that they are still in the back of the Occoquan and they move when it is warm outside.  I saw a few more and I had a few other hits.  This snakehead took the fly right as it hit the water.

They seem to go in the back of the Occoquan near time to spawn.  They leave after they spawn and head for the muck.  Just my observations and I could be wrong, but this is the only time of the year that I have seen and caught them back there.
 managed to filet him and I intend to try him fried tonight for dinner.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/f2e83726-b9dd-4010-9fd4-f8a0b2953d25%40googlegroups.com?hl=en-US.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment