Friday, May 31, 2013

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} first season on the potomac: thanks and some highlights so far

Hey all,

I recently moved to DC and was a little worried that good fishing would be tough to come by out here. Turns out I had nothing to fear. I've been a little spoiled by easy access to great water in sparsely populated areas while growing up in southeastern Minnesota and going to school in Oregon, so I was surprised to find such amazing fishing opportunities right in town. Yes, it's a little crowded, but the fishing is awesome, and you never know what's going to be on the other end of the line. In addition to the solid fishing, the fishing community here is super friendly and tight-knit, and it has been great to meet folks while wandering the banks down by Fletchers. I also just wanted to take a second to thank Alex, Eric, Sam, and Dan (some kind folks I've met while in search of fish or fishing gear) for help in figuring out how to fish the Potomac. Good advice all around that has played a key role in many a successful day on the water (not that I could ever really call a day on the water a failure). Also, this is a great forum. Nicely done TPFR, and many thanks.

Every one of you TPFR people I've talked to has told me to post some pictures, so here they finally are, a few highlights from the season so far including my first fish out of the Potomac (a nice smallmouth), first shad, first striper, and biggest striper. All fish came from various spots along the stretch between Fletchers and the Chain Bridge on clouser style flies (except for the shad which hit a dart). Color and specific pattern doesn't seem to matter much. I've had my best luck swinging big flies deep.


(not pictured: mysterious fish, probably a big blue, that I fought for ~30 min before it rubbed through my backing on a rock. epic but expensive battle. thanks to Sam for noticing my struggle and being ready with a net that we never ended up needing.)

Looking forward to continuing to explore this fishery.


Ben

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/7f27e523-5f4c-4485-a032-948ded1ddbd3%40googlegroups.com?hl=en-US.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment