Friday, December 28, 2018

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Naples FL fly fishing

Just to close the loop with a report that hopefully will help folks exploring the area in the future.

I ended up renting a kayak for about three hours to explore Big Hickory Island in Estero Bay north of Naples. The conditions were tough for a DIY saltwater newbie. High winds created an extreme low tide lasting much of the afternoon. Numerous spots that normally had several feet of water had me hopping out to push through the sand. The guy I rented from gave me a couple of places to try, the best being a channel that at the time was surrounded by locals and families with spin rods. My biggest mistake was leaving the cover of interior Mangroves and ending up on the outside of the island attempting to fish the secluded areas where the wind was whipping up strongest and the wake from big, fast boats made it hard to stay stationary even with an anchor. I ended up paddling way more than casting.

I hoped to go and get tips beforehand at Mangrove Outfitters, the fly shop down in Naples, but Christmas schedules didn't work out. I went afterward and they were not fans of the Estero Bay Area because of the number of people and boats. They also said the fish up there were super spooky. They preferred anything south of Naples down to the Everglades and said a kayak would work. I will pony up the money to book a guide through them next time. The amount of time I spent researching on my own only to be blown all over the place would make it worth the cost to go with a local pro, even just once to get a handle on how to approach the area.

Despite my lack of success I'd definitely try to get some time on the water if you'll be down there. It's beautiful and I'm anxious to go back and give it another whirl. I will add that you should research the seasons because that has a big impact on where the fish are.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/f10ce373-445d-4bba-9463-6f715be0b881%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment