Monday, December 17, 2018

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Naples FL fly fishing

Hi all--rekindling this thread!

I'm going to be in Naples next week. I don't think I'll have time to do a charter/guided trip this time around--and to be honest, I need to practice my accuracy and double-haul before I invest in that--but I'd like to try and get out spend a few hours on the water. Does anyone know of anything that is doable from the beach or generally doable without a boat? 

I've found a few good resources online so far and am planning to hit up a local shop to buy some supplies, but any additional thoughts are appreciated!

Jamie



On Monday, March 14, 2011 at 4:04:36 PM UTC-4, John wrote:

Good advice on casting practice before fishing. Come out to the Saturday or
Sunday river clinics and we will be glad to help on hauls or anything else.
Chrs
John


-----Original Message-----
From: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
[mailto:tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Dan M
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2011 2:28 PM
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Subject: Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Naples FL fly fishing

Hey guys, thanks for the response's. Now that I think of it, I did use
Mangrove Outfitters the last time I was down there. My colleague who is
attending the meeting with me is very much a novice to the sport. I told him
much the same thing you guys are telling me and that is if he can't at least
single haul this might be a very expensive lesson for him. I know it was for
me the first time I went out. I'll talk with the shop and see if we can try
to target fish that might be out of the heaviest wind. Maybe going into the
mangroves is the best bet...

On Mar 14, 11:49 am, Ken <nowak.kenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Dan,
>
> I'll just elaborate a little on what my brother already mentioned. My
> in-laws have a place in Naples so I'm down there from time to time -
> on the most recent trip Jeff joined us and we fished Everglades
> National Park with Capt. Jeff Legutki. He's a local guy and knows the
> areas inside and out - even in January, he put us on some big Snook.
> Snook do tend to be the most sought after species (some call Naples
> Snook City) but especially in the warmer months there are a lot of
> other fish you can target - jacks, sea trout, reds, tarpon, snapper,
> mackerel, etc. There are also a variety of areas to fish depending on
> what you are targeting - North up to Sanibel Island and South to the
> national park and they all have their own characteristics from back-
> country mangroves with tea colored water to grass flats, sandy
> shorelines and open water, so you'll want to talk to your guide and
> decide what environment best fits your objectives. I highly recommend
> a guide as it will greatly improve your prospects, but you can also
> fish the beaches and passes fairly effectively if you can find areas
> not over-run with people (usually early is a good bet). As waves roll
> in, look "through" them for cruising snook or other fish - you just
> don't want to be too close to the water or you'll spook them. As for
> flies, the  EP and polar bait fish patterns tend to be quite popular,
> plus some clousers and then a few top water flies like blados crease
> for jacks....they're known to roam the shoreline in fast moving packs
> and will aggressively hit anything - the faster you can strip it in
> the better, then hold on. Anyway, Mangrove Outfitters is right in
> Naples and Tom has a crew of guides that will take care of you. As
> with any salt fishing, you need to  be on point with casting - no
> matter how good your guide may be. It is definitely worth it to spend
> some time ahead of the trip hitting a hula-hoop on the grass from
> different distances - especially on days with light to moderate wind.
> I only say this b/c it will maximize your hook-ups and it stinks to
> drop  $600 on a trip only to spend the first few hours "brushing the
> rust off." Let me know if there is anything else I can try to answer.
>
> ken

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to
tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders?hl=en.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/83c12f7c-19aa-47e8-8b69-419d6d1dfbe3%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment