Tuesday, December 5, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Pickerel - Seeking spots/tips

Andrew, I am a chainsides addict between now and late March.  And it seems there aren't very many of us.  I love their torpedolike explosions from the side and V-wakes when on the chase.  Took 4 of them like this one this weekend.  Quantico ponds are loaded with them and here is info on fishing Quantico.  https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/waterbody/quantico-mcb-ponds-lakes/  I have also seen them caught from Burke Lake but not by me.  (And yes, I'm sure they were chain pickerel.)

Tactics:  I use a floating line.  Although when I started targeting them years ago, I initially did fine with 6 and 8 pound mono (I got lucky) because all fish were hooked in the corner of the mouth like yours.  After my first "sliceoff," I went to 20-lb wire.  Used wire for a few years and then somebody told me to use 20-pound fluoro because I'd scare less fish and I'd be fine.  Although 20-pound fluoro has generally worked, I have had a few biteoffs/sliceoffs.  Two weeks ago, I was using 20-pound fluoro, stripping the fly, saw the v-wake coming in, kept stripping, saw the explosion and strip-struck to nothing.  My 20-pound fluoro had been sliced (from thick to threadlike).  I never even felt the strike on the strip.  So, I immediately grabbed my bag and saw that I only had 30-lb wire.  It worked that day and then again this last weekend.  I tie the fly on with a "jam knot."  Way too easy.  And it has never failed me.

As for flies, I started with clousers and half-and-halfs years ago.  As you can imagine, bucktail and feathers generally last for exactly one fish.  I have experimented with various flies and now really only use one.  A bunny-strip fly.  I generally have a 2-inch white or yellow section as a tail, add some flash if I feel like it (and I have felt like it lately using red flash), and I then palmer a chartreuse strip up the shank.  I generally use 1/0 but I've taken pickerel on 6s up to 2/0. And I always mash that barb down.

In colder weather, look for shallow weedy bays protected from the wind. 

I have caught them on topwater, but generally fish a non-weighted bunny strip fly a foot or so under the surface.  In deeper places, I will at times resort to dumbbell eyes.


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/4db50aea-e493-4331-90a5-70ae701e7250%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment