Tuesday, December 5, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Fly Tying Materials - Reasonably Priced

I recognize this is only somewhat responsive, but I'll give you my take on what I had to learn the hard way.  Basically, your question sets up something that's impossible to answer, in my view.

I do not believe there are "discount ... quality necks and saddles" for dry flies.  I would (and do now) pay extra for high quality dry fly hackle.  I no longer order dry fly hackle from online sources due to a couple of hard lessons and wasted cash.  I want to see the dry fly hackle, so I am always on the lookout at local fly shops (even those I'm patiently waiting for).  In the past, when I didn't have local shops, I did try online and ended up with a couple of bad stories.  Necks and saddles that were bug-infested in a couple of instances and in another couple of instances the quills were so brittle from either a drying or dying process, I presume, that I couldn't use them, they broke.  And there was the black neck that was a dark purple.

BUT (this is more responsive to your question), I think you can go discount for wet-fly and bugger hackles.  (I ended up using the dark purple neck on my buggers.)  Again, I am always on the lookout at the local shops because I want to see what I'm getting.


On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 10:25:05 AM UTC-5, Flyrodva wrote:
Anyone have suggestions on where to buy reasonably-priced fly tying materials?  Especially online sources.  But, area sources or stores also helpful.  Looking for discount materials.  Especially interested in reasonably-priced decent quality necks and saddles for tying trout flies sizes #14 - #22.  Thank you.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/5a8527f9-1572-40ec-811a-14790ee255ac%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment