Tuesday, December 5, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Pickerel - Seeking spots/tips

 I used to fish the Patuxent River in the winter time and catch Pickeral, though this was on conventional rod and reel.  The skinnier woodier sections up the Western Branch in Upper Marlboro MD were pretty good.  We were always in kayaks and boats though.  Plenty of white perch, yellow perch and crappie as well.

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 3:40:50 PM UTC-5, Andrew Sarcinello wrote:
Dear TPFR'ers,

I'm planning on doing a lot of exploring this winter in search of these toothy mini monsters.  I've done extensive research on my own, and it seems like there just aren't many places within an hour of northern VA where I live that have them.  Some places I've read about include Mattawoman Creek, Severn and Magothy Rivers (which are almost entirely private property), lower parts of the Patuxent River, and just about everywhere on the Eastern Shore.  I've only gotten around to exploring Tuckahoe Lake and Creek and have had good success there, but that's far enough to basically demand a full day trip with the short winter days.  They really hit flies with a vengeance, and I'd like to find somewhere closer to chase them.

One of the biggest problems I'm finding is accessing the places they live on foot.  I do not have a kayak or other watercraft.  Tuckahoe Creek is basically a swamp with a lot of braided channels and muck, and unless you're close to the trail crossings and other heavily fished access points, it takes a lot of effort just to find solid ground to get into casting position.  

Appreciate any help others can offer - whether it is spots to check out or just general tips on fishing for them with flies from shore.  Feel free to message me directly, I'm willing to share info I've gathered in exchange.

Here's one I caught this weekend in Tuckahoe Creek on a mud minnow pattern.

TIA,
Andrew

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/ee3e1bdb-9b2b-4a6d-a827-9021978ceceb%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment