Wednesday, December 27, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Pickerel - Seeking spots/tips

So I was lucky enough to get out for pickerel twice this month, once with Andrew and once with Thomas. I seem to have carried some pox that applied only to my fishing partners, for while I caught fish  both times they caught none. Not that the action was all that frenzied, but I managed to get three, one on the outing with Andrew and two with Thomas. Not sure what I'm trying to say but I hope to shake the pox when Scott and I go out Saturday for Musky... he's got a hot hand right now having caught TWO when he went out with Blane Chocklett two weeks ago!

For the first trip, Andrew and I headed across the Potomac to southern MD. It was very cold. We tried Myrtle Grove first but it was almost entirely frozen. So we moved on and tried a tidal tributary next with no luck. When that spot didn't pan out we headed to St. Mary's lake and there I finally managed a fish. I was wading along the bank towards the bottom of the lake near the dam. There was a log coming out 90 degrees from the shoreline without any protruding sticks, just a bare log about the thickness of my thigh. I had made multiple casts at the log, but didn't see the fish until I was straddling it and had made a roll cast straight out from the bank parallel to the log. The snakey-looking pickerel followed my fly right to the tip of my rod, and then as I turned the fly horizontal to me and the bank in an attempt to lengthen the retrieve. I tried to figure eight in front of it but spooked it by bring the fly back towards it. Well I was excited and paused to send Andrew a text. A few moments pass, I roll cast again, strip-strip and the fish inhales it less than 15' from the bank. Saw the gills flare. 10 seconds later I had my first pickerel to hand! ("Pickerel 1"). Probably about 14-15". 

Thomas and I headed to Loch Raven on Christmas Eve since we were both in Baltimore for the holiday. Thomas arrived before me and got about five minutes of fishing in before I caught up to him. He had started fishing on a rocky point with a big log extending from shore. A fishy spot to be sure, but also an obvious one right at the trailhead. I crept into the water across the small bay from him and started fan casting. On about my fifth cast I saw the gill flare and set the hook on a better fish. ("Pickerel 2"). Probably about 18". This fish was sitting in only about 2-3' of water over a dirty bottom. There was plenty of wood in the bay but I wasn't able to see exactly what sort of lie he was sitting in. I was so pleased, my day was made!

Thomas and I set off in opposite directions along the bank. The reservoir was down a good four or five feet and that left plenty of firm lake edge to walk along without too many obstacles. That detail was very helpful for getting around. We fished alone for another two hours without any more sightings or bites. A couple hours later Thomas and I reunited and had lunch. Having gotten a fish I thought I would be gracious and let him fish the new structure ahead. We had come across a rather fishing looking bank. It was one side of a bay that extended for about 100-150 yards and fell off into some deepish water - definitely over 5' and probably about 6-7', although that's just speculation. I was just fan casting from a rock about thirty feet away from Thomas and was surprised by the fish. Thomas had already put in a good 20 casts around the spot I was fishing. I thought I'd hooked a deep branch because I didn't see the gill flare through the glare, but then lo it turned out to be a fish! This was my best one yet, a trophy that came to about 21". Luckily I had Thomas on hand and he got a good picture ("Pickerel 3"). 

All three of my fish took the red and white clouser/half and half you can see clearly in the second picture. It's good that the fly survived so I can replicate it. I was glad to have tied a leader with 40 lb rio bite tippet, which is a monofilament covered wire. The third fish in particular took the fly in such a way that the line was subject to toothy abrasion. I had to pry its mouth open to re-orient the fly for removal.  My leader was about 36" of 30 lb flouro to about 24" of bite tippet. I fished a six weight rod and that was about right. 

So here are the things I would postulate so far from my experiences fishing for Pickerel. I'll phrase them as assertions but I really just mean them as theories. 1) they are extremely wood oriented right now. I imagine they are very weed oriented in the summer/spring. Big wood that they can sit next to and imitate is better then twiggy or small wood. 2) red and white is a good color combo. 3) Fly path, position, or placement is very important. I think they may be far far more selective in what they will chase than bass. I got the impression they don't move as far for the fly, because it seemed like it needed to be moving in just the right path for them to want to be willing to give chase.

It's always the best when you can get out there with fellow TPFR'ers like Andrew and Thomas! Thanks guys for the inspiration, this has been a really fun December. Happy holidays everyone. 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/0605f65e-ae96-4425-9334-a11672d4921f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment