Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Nice haul one day this weekend and some questions for the Vet fly throwers in here

Come down to the next casting church and we can go over some techniques.  The oval cast is one of the best ways to handle this.   Chuck and Duck fishing is one of those things that is never pretty but there are things you can do to help.

A shorter leader?  Yes, it will help.

The line you are using might also be contributing to it.  Getting more weight toward the tip, along with a stiffer leader helps turn over bulky poppers.  If all else fails, a 9wt would help out.  

I fish an 8 or 9wt for bigger poppers for this reason.  A 6wt would handle the fish, but getting the bigger flies to turn over requires a bit more mass.


Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 3:22 PM, Robin Walker <robinjwalker@gmail.com> wrote:
Try practicing an oval cast.


But yes, any weight on the flies makes casting much less graceful. 

On Tuesday, February 21, 2017 at 1:52:10 PM UTC-5, tatu...@gmail.com wrote:
Quick trip down to the in-laws in West Palm Beach and was able to hit the golf ponds on Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday:
Overcast, in the high 70's and very very little wind. The water levels were super low, so a lot of structures were on the banks to be fished. Fished from 1600-1830.

I felt like a champion thrower of flies.  With my trusty 7-WT and concentration on improving my casting technique...I was able to throw a popper really well.  Put it where I wanted at the short and longer distances I was aiming at, it was grand.  AND I CAUGHT FISH (see pics).  Bunch of bluegills, some bass, and this non-native red-ish fish that fought like all the other fish put together. 


Sunday:
Sunny and windy...pretty darn strong and constant wind.  I was forced to fish from 1400-1700 (so not optimal). 

I tried a popper with a drop fly (muddler minnow-black), no luck.  Tried weighted streamers and wolly buggers...no luck.  Went top water and no luck there either (expect loosing my last poppers to so trees).  So I was skunked Sunday, except for the 5ft alligator watching me from the other side of the pond. 

Question:  I can throw my line with a fly or popper just fine.  I have a weight forward 7-wt and about a 7'  leader/tippet combo tied with blood knots (8lb tippet).  I mean I can really get distance on that rig and lay the fly right down nicely.  The second I put any weighted fly or a big bass popper on it's like I am trying to throw a line of boiled spaghetti off my rod.  The line loads up, but it goes forward like crap and the leader/tippet just flops down in front of me.  Same exact set up....just a heavier fly.  What's up with this?  Do I need to shorten my leader (I also had the problem with the popper/drop fly combo...it just flopped all over the place). 

Thanks for any assistance. 

Collin

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/857f91b9-05bb-4e72-8d2d-389cfecb57be%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAK8gq%2BFbh_0XogLX0i-L8%3DmMKgXj8XmG0AMSOsH90PXBmiGzqw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment