Friday, January 20, 2017

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Anybody ever used spiral Czech/French nymphing strike indicators

Justin, 

I believe the slinky indicators were originally used for shallow water nymphing in like France. That's why I want to make my own and not buy the super long slinkies like the ones shown in the original post. I want a short little bit of coil (like 15 wraps) so as to be sensitive but really stealth. So if you're using a slinky leader, I don't think you would be using a heavily weighted nymph rig.

I think there is definitely a point at which a fly becomes too heavy. The imitation needs to be affected by underwater micro currents in order to look like the real thing. I would imagine that it depends on the gradient of the stream how much weight an individual fly can be given but still catch fish. The balance between the two is where successful nymph fishermen live, so it just depends on the situation. If you need more weight to get down, I think you have to start using split shots. I'm planning to do more "drop shotting" this year. Yay for tippet rings!

Carl, 

I'm going to steal your snelled bead of bright mono idea. It's inspired. You should submit it as a tip to American Angler or somewhere. 



--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/b2d5d679-be5a-477c-afca-3d3e53aecb7f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment