Monday, June 29, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Makeshift strike indicators

That ain't chocolate!  

Reach down into your shoe, grab the packet that says "do not eat!" and crush it up and dust your grass with it -- that would work even better!  I prefer frog's fanny, but we're talking "pinch"!  

Gene

On Monday, June 29, 2015 at 11:25:07 AM UTC-4, Jeff Silvan wrote:
I went out to the Canal yesterday to chase some carp. As you can imagine, it was chocolate milk from the recent rains. I saw plenty of feeding fish, but couldn't actually see the fish in most of the cases, so I figured I was destined to do some indicator fishing if I wanted to catch anything. I quickly came to the realization that I not only forgot to bring any strike indicators, I didn't even have a popper or dry fly to use in a pinch. All the yarn I had was at home too - I literally had nothing. I started thinking a bit on how I could improvise, and ended up plucking a blade of grass and tying it using an overhand knot above the surgeon knot on my leader. It worked like a charm, and first cast, I saw the twitch and got a fish. 

I'm actually thinking that at least in the canal, it will be my go-to indicator. It makes absolutely no splash when it lands, so reduces the chance of spooking the carp. It also isn't big enough to catch enough air resistance to mess with your cast. The only draw back is it doesn't float, so if it breaks the surface tension, it won't pop back up. It isn't that durable either, but grass is pretty plentiful. I have no idea if this would work in current of any significance.

Anyone else have any makeshift indicators they have used?

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/c94ecdd8-ca82-4b79-92a8-48ad5f3dec91%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment