Tuesday, December 30, 2014

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Best Portable Fish Finder?

I sometimes fish from an inflatable kayak and had trouble finding a fish finder that used a battery wouldn't damage my kayak due to weight.  

After searching online, I figured out that I could run a Garmin Echo off of 8 AA batteries, so I bought this inexpensive battery carrierthese connectors, and 8 rechargeable AA batteries, this transducer arm mount, and a bunch of 1" ball and socket RAM mounts and rigged it up.  It works great (mostly as a depth finder - I haven't actually had much luck using it to find fish) and everything quickly comes apart when I deflate my kayak for storage.

The batteries last a surprisingly long time - a couple of weeks of frequent summer fishing in between charges.

This setup would probably work for any model fish finder - but I used a Garmin Echo as it was small, lightweight and cheap. 

Hope it helps!

On Monday, December 29, 2014 3:24:29 PM UTC-5, Rex Moore wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions, and there's very little in the archives on this topic. I'd like a finder that I could use on a kayak, or take with me in other situations. I don't have one of those nice fishing kayaks that have a dedicated battery compartment and the ability to mount the transducer underneath.

 

The Humminbird 140C Fishin' Buddy 3.5-Inch Waterproof Fishfinder seems pretty neat because it will run on AA batteries (so no need for the bigger batter and case on the yak). I'm just wondering if I'd be able to mount it properly on the kayak. Might have to modify something, which I'm not so good at.  J

 

Thanks,

 

Rex


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/076d8b19-06aa-4f34-beaa-3b7407cced35%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment