Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Hellgrammite Flies?

I tie mine in black or dark grey. Size 4 nymph hook. 






Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 14, 2023, at 1:43 PM, Garrison Grisedale <garrison.grisedale@gmail.com> wrote:

I have fished Hellgrammites for smallmouths, but never had much luck--how do you guys recommend working them? Just like a normal swung streamer? 

On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 1:19:04 PM UTC-4 namfos wrote:
I like Murray's Hellgrammite,  https://youtu.be/rsOxCMvD4es
and Chuck Kraft's Crittermite, https://youtu.be/PanX9-Uq22w

Black is my most frequent color, though dark olive and brown are good too. Haven't tried it yet, but the chenilles that come in two mottled colors (coffee & black, olive & black, etc.) look like they'd work

Mark
On Tuesday, March 14, 2023 at 1:07:03 PM UTC-4 david.j.v...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi all,

I'm off for spring break this week (professor at a local U). Since I don't want to end up with a new piercing today trying to flick bugs in this wind, I thought I'd spend a little time tying for spring. I'm still relatively new to the area and haven't fully cracked the code on the local smallmouth (although I've caught plenty). I'm primarily fishing the upper P and the Monocacy. Specifically, I'm interested in playing around with some hellgrammite patterns. I have a couple in mind, but what colors do ya'll like around here. Based on Google, it looks like the real bugs vary from olives, to tans, to blacks, to wine colored. Any preferences on the local rivers? I have to say that it's liberating to tie in sizes 2-6 after so many years tying in sizes 14-20 in Oregon. 

Thanks for your advice! 

Dave

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/9f5eae39-3f5f-474d-ac79-318563cebd62n%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment