Wednesday, June 5, 2019

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Recommendations for Munich, Germany ?

Lane, I lived in Germany in the mid- to late-90s and it was VERY hard to get 1) a license, and 2) permission/access to fish.  We have a wealth of public water here.  Not so there.  I gave up.  You had to pass a written test for a license.  I remember taking the practice test and question #1 was how many eggs a 6-pound pike could lay.  I had no idea and a quick scan of the other questions revealed my inability to pass without serious study.  I gave up.  I'm not kidding.  I can't say how things have changed since 1998.

A quick internet search revealed this, though I can't vouch for its accuracy:

"Generally, in order to legally catch a fish in Germany you need two important documents: a "Fischereischein," or fishing license, and a "Tageskarte," or permit. The fishing license confirms that you attended and passed a special course and exam. The license allows you to obtain a permit for fishing a specified body of water for a specified period of time.

Obtaining a German fishing license is time consuming and pricey. Its process entails taking a 30-hour course followed by a comprehensive fishing exam that tests what students learned. A good understanding of the German language is a must. The cost of obtaining the license is around $200. The license needs to be renewed annually for about $22.  https://www.kaiserslauternamerican.com/fishing-in-germany-within-anglers-reach-2/


Also, I can't say whether it's still the case, but catch and release was illegal, considered cruel to the fish.  Again, a quick internet search found this:  https://www.outsideonline.com/2160036/its-illegal-catch-and-release-germany

So--I enjoyed watching browns and grayling feed in the streams. But I did not fish in the three years I lived there except on leave back in the States.

--the other Lane

On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 8:38:43 AM UTC-4, Lane Smith wrote:
Hi All!

My wife and I will be in and around Munich, Germany the last week in September and I was curious if anyone here has fished the area?

From what I've read, there is excellent pike and trout fishing and I would love to get a line wet while we're there. I have a musky rig which should be good for the pike but my trout gear leaves something to be desired.

Would love to hear from anyone who has fished Germany/Austria.

Lane

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/82dfebe4-f574-4aab-9da6-7431573c519e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment