Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: The one that got away

Yeah the big curve in the creek where they've shut the trail down (on the opposite shore from the zoo) holds lots of fish. On the day Das Cat Shark broke the tip of my 4 wgt I caught a bunch of sunfish and some perch. I saw a big largemouth and put streamers in front of it to drift and fake swim but it ignored me. I used poppers for a while, but I didn't catch anything until I switched over to Clauser minnows and green woolly bugger's.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 4, 2019, at 10:22 AM, Jamie Carracher <jcarracher@gmail.com> wrote:

I've fished the entire length of Rock Creek (where it's legal) over the years. I've caught fish pretty much everywhere. The key is covering lots of water and looking for the "fishy" spots. Lots of bush-wacking or climbing into weird positions (I don't wade in there). I caught a nice sunfish a couple weeks ago standing on top of a big sewer drain (it's not for everyone). For example, that piece of water behind the zoo that's closed off right now nearly always holds some fish--especially catfish and carp. There was a spot you can only access from within the zoo where I saw a giant largemouth at the head of a pool--I couldn't entice him. I saw two big snakeheads up as far as Cleveland Park last summer, too. I will say, I've been hassled once by a zoo police officer when I was within the zoo territory right off the bike path. Rock Creek Park rules say anything south of Porter is fair game but he didn't believe me.

The big bluegills/sunfish I saw recently were hanging out south of the Connecticut Ave. bridge. There's also a good spot where the canal and creek converge in Georgetown that can be productive. When the canal has water, it's fun to hit both. Only area I am not too keen on anymore is that stretch that goes through Foggy Bottom. It's a hangout spot, and I prefer to get away from people. There is a good pool under the M Street bridge, though.



On Monday, June 3, 2019 at 10:13:01 AM UTC-4, Collin Tatusko wrote:

Fishing the Tidal Basin teaches lessons in humility and patience.  

 

Hit the Basin yesterday morning as the sun was coming up.  Many fish stirring about....and after a few hours of nada top side or below the surface with streamers and the like...switched over to the bottom dwellers.

 

Put on a nice black hellgrammite looking bug-thing.  Not one cast later...BAM...and for the next 15 minutes (and a few folks passing by to watch)...played the fish on my line.  Guessed by the hard fight and staying deep (tide was on its way up) it was a catfish.  Sure enough...it was.

 

So there I was....big catfish on the line, finally tired him (or her) out, and got it up to the wall.  Pulled around my net, which was excessively small and decided 'hey, Mr./Mrs. Catfish isn't struggling so much, maybe I can lift it straight up the 6-8 inches and get it on the path".  That little voice in my head said bad idea; I heard the voice and brushed it off.  

 

Sure enough, started to pull straight up and POP...down went the fish and I swear...the catfish was smiling as he/she slipped back into the brown depth of the Tidal Basin.

 

So, heed my lessons.  And...if anyone catches a nice 15-20 inch big catfish with a hellgrammite lure firmly attached to its lower left lip...you are welcome.

 

I absolutely love fly fishing. 

 

Cheers

Collin

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/7cbe94fc-2ec2-4ceb-95a3-72bbe9b865b8%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment