Thursday, November 26, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Steelhead Trip with National Capital Chapter of Trout Unlimited (NCC-TU)

I can't resist for not-to-sharing my steelhead trip. Here.... Last weekend the dudes from NCC-TU and I went to fishing for steelhead on Elk creek in PA with the guides. I have learned how the guide tied up the fly line -  the lines, weights, leaders and tippet. It was pretty neat to use double nymph rig. Everything was first time to me. On Saturday morning the weather was part clouds with 40-50 degree. The creek flow was pretty good. Of course I never use double nymph rig and it was difficult to cast it at beginning. With my guide correcting my casting made my day more pleasure but frustrated in some ways (messed up lines). Yes! I pull out good number of steelheads from good spots along 5 miles round-trip walking up on the creek.  On Sunday we went back to same creek with 30 degree coldest day in November. The weather started with clouds, then snowing, winding, then Sunny, again snowing and hailing - mixed weather for 3-4 hours. Finally it was sunny in late morning. I only caught one steelhead. The guide decided to take me upper creek and stopped at pool area and showed (taught) me how to drop the nymph & egg (double rig) into the deep pool with the water flowing slowly. On third casting I threw and dropped it into deep narrow between steep rocks. Then I pulled the line out slowly but then I felt that the line was getting stuck in rocks, then pass the rod to the guide and told him that it was stuck. He pulled the line and tried to lose it from rocks but then realized something - yelled at me " Nooooo.. Fish on!!!!" then gave the rod back to me. Oh oh...ok... I pulled it up a little harder this time, suddenly the huge fish popped up from rocks and swimming wildly. Geezzz.....tug-of war... reeling, steadying, reeling. All I could think "no break line no break line....". YES.... Big beautiful Gold-Brown Trout!!! Big bonus! It was the best day on this trip!

 

Happy Thanksgiving!!

 

Richard

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment