Tuesday, November 24, 2015

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Conway River Browns

This was 2 weeks ago I think?  The guy we ran into was pleasant, and was moving down toward Devil's ditch whereas we were basically starting there and moving upstream ;).  

I had the experience of catching nearly all brook trout when fishing the dry and/or a shallow dropper (e.g., soft hackle).  Browns were hitting deeper nymphs, or the old Dingle Johnson if you will.  

The further upstream you go, the tighter and more brook trout you seem to get.  Eventually you get beyond where the main road follows and you kind of have to trek back in the woods.  
In any case, we love that stream. Beth seems to get bigger trout there than I do.  A month or so back she got one (maybe 14-15" -- and pretty) that pulled out drag.  Note that this is an orvis clicker reel with fairly light drag tension, but hey!  It sounded funny on such a small stream.  

That one butter brown you have there is a good one -- pictures never do justice, but I know a good one from that stream when I see it.  

Gene

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 8:28:36 PM UTC-5, Forrest Allen wrote:
What day were you out there, Gene? How did y'all do? 

I saw a handful of deer hunters (but only heard one gunshot), some casual campers, and only one pair of fly fishermen on Sunday. 

It sounds like I need to go a lot further upstream if I want to get after the brookies in good numbers. I dont consider myself lazy, but I know (and proved) there are nice browns within a short walk of that parking spot, so I didnt bother going too far. Devil's Ditch will be my primary focus on my next trip there, for sure. It sounds like they exist in comparable numbers to the Rapidan once you get to the good pools.

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 7:37:47 PM UTC-5, TurbineBlade wrote:
We were out there the other day as well -- only saw 1 other guy, and a crapload of deer hunters parked at middle rap parking area.  

Nice report-

Gene

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 7:20:42 PM UTC-5, Andrew Sarcinello wrote:
Really nice browns. I lost a small one in the Ditch this summer but otherwise have not landed one there yet. If you go a decent ways up you'll run into some substantial falls that probably keep browns from making it too far up there.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/320939ec-dd9f-42c9-a185-d3c063a1c615%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment