Thursday, July 23, 2015

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Bonefishing Etiquette - Sharing a Spot

Thanks for the responses guys.  I really appreciate it.  Luckily I didn't run into the situation.  I had the spot to myself and found fish each time I hit the water. 

Here are some photos of Girls flat at high and low tide and a photo from the plane leaving the island. I found fish each of the three two-hour sessions I was able ("allowed") to hit the water.  For a non-fishing trip/wedding, I was very happy with the amount of time I hit the water and the easy access.  Unfortunately I didn't touch a bonefish but saw more than I expected, including several groups of tailing fish, and have a story of the proverbial big one that got away. 


On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 10:47:50 PM UTC-4, Yambag Nelson wrote:
I have not fished in the bahamas but have fished in the keys alot.  The etiquette may be different, but i would say it would be ok to fish the same flat assuming it is fairly large and you stay WAY away.  And like trout fishing, do not cut in front of them in whatever direction they are poling/wading.  And lastly, be quiet when you arrive/leave.  

Honestly though, if it was me i think i would just go somewhere else.  But that is just me.  

On Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 2:05:50 PM UTC-4, Richard Farino wrote:
Go find your own fish.  There are tons of other DIY places to find bones in the Bahamas.  Although the regulations might change one the Bahamian officials emulate what goes on here in Washington, right now you can go somewhere else.

FYI – Girl Flat is productive but the fish are finicky because it's so easily accessed.  Also, if you're up and on the flat you want to fish early enough, you don't have to worry about intruding on someone else's fishing.


R



From: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Connor Donovan <don...@gmail.com>
Reply-To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 at 1:45 PM
To: Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders <tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Bonefishing Etiquette - Sharing a Spot

When it comes to DIY bonefishing, what is the etiquette if I show up to a flat and another person or even group is already there fishing? 

Just want to see what the group has to say.  I've never waded a flat let alone seen/caught a bonefish. Not sure if I would be expected to leave the area entirely or just do my best to keep my distance and find my own fish.

I'm heading to Harbor Island (N. Eleuthera) tomorrow for a wedding, have a small Boston Whaler rented for a day, and have intel on a nearby flat that predicatably holds fish.  

As far as I can tell, the new regulations haven't hit the books quite yet.  RIGHT???? 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/8fec0b9b-fa0c-4ea7-ad32-2ee484f3b69f%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/276c2347-4bcd-4c8a-9263-1c71c462ac47%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment