Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Fly line for surf fishing?

I love my Rio Outbound. Intermediate. Super heavy weight forward. One false cast and I can shoot nearly the whole line out there.

On 5/29/2012 3:23 PM, Matt Geiman wrote:
>From my little experience in surf fishing you'll want at least a full intermediate line, and possibly a full sinking for deeper/rougher water. You should not use anything with a floating section because it will be tossed around by the waves.
As far as up-lining. I've found it to be kind of a personal preference based on how you cast. It also depends on the action of the rod, and size of flies. For example,  I like to up line my 8 weight Helios(very fast action) when I'm casting big bass bugs. If you can, I'd recomend test casting some lines with a clouser tied on before buying one. 

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:40:25 AM UTC-4, Mike Diakiwsky wrote:
Hey All - I'm hoping the TPFR community can give me some advice.  I recently got my hands on a 9-wt. rod and I'm looking for an appropriate fly line.  I intend to fish the surf (east coast) with this outfit.  I doubt I'll be using it in a boat (deeper water) very often, if at all.  My folks go to Cape Cod every once in awhile and I'd like to take the rod along and see what I could hook into (stripers/blues?)  Also, I make a typical trip to the beach every year with friends (anywhere between Delaware and South Carolina) and I'd like to take the rod along so I don't have to just sit on the beach and drink all day... although that's not bad either.  I have no idea what I'd hook into, I just found a hell of a price on a 9-wt. and I figured it would handle a nice range of saltwater activity.

Do you think any of these sale Orvis lines are suitable?  I'll basically be chucking baitfish patterns all the time.  This coastal stuff is totally new to me, so please let me know if I should size up and consider a 10-wt. line.  Thanks in advance for any input.  And if none of these lines are suitable, just let me know.  Just trying to save a buck, if possible.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=94HG
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=94HL
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=9L9T

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/WNfKSl3ltOEJ.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders?hl=en.

No comments:

Post a Comment