Saturday, June 5, 2021

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Cicada report

I was on the North Fork  of the Shenandoah yesterday.   I didn't hear or see a single cicada.  Needless to say I had no luck on Snowhite's  cicada, but do not blame the fly pattern.  Moved over to other flies and got a number of panfish and fallfish so the day ended in success.

On Sat, Jun 5, 2021, 9:26 AM Dalton Terrell <daltonbterrell@gmail.com> wrote:
I hit a local lake yesterday with a healthy population of bass and carp with dreams of repeatedly battling huge fish. I showed up a bit after dawn and heard the shrill chorus as I approached the ramp. As I gear up, I see at least a dozen cicadas fall to the water, knowing it was going to be an epic day. 

As I get on the water and float down the shoreline, reality starts to set in. The bugs falling to the water are pecked three or four times, and then dragged under... the smallest of bluegills are keyed in, but no evidence of a carp cloop or bass swirls. I fished several hours and in nearly every spot, it was the same story, the gills were smashing my bug every cast. 

All told, I did find a few larger fish eating and hooked up with a couple. My trophy fish of the day was a happy Channel Cat. A larger bass also took the fly but I put the screws to him too hard as he dove into the weeds and off he went. I spotted a few carp sunning, but none eating cadas, and these fish had no interest in even well placed flies.

I hope to get a couple more outings so I can figure out this game before 2038.



Dalton

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CACxGu2e6jV-CtwuaYa%3DptRezsPekEkniggjVu7y2vJUooDzg_g%40mail.gmail.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAAtT9-sy8HKYDxgyN0inz6CfVWsaCD6HaVH9RLObgCUuVOoQfw%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment