Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Carry rods on a plane

Thank you all for the help.  I would of never thought about reels looking funny on X-Ray.

Thanks,

Dan Barrett
(540)-222-8064

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Jeffrey Silvan <jeffreysilvan@gmail.com> wrote:
Delta has always been really good about traveling with fly rods for me, and I also often have them offer to store in the coat closet. American (and previously US Air) has been fine, but no "special" treatment of the rods. I generally find they don't care too much about something like a rod tube since it easily fits above/behind/in front of other luggage and doesn't take away from others' use of the overheads. My only experience on United wasn't with a rod tube, but with the Orvis travel case and it was one of my two carry ons so no good data point there.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 5:57 AM, D. Walker <williamdaviswalker@gmail.com> wrote:
I Agree with Thomas, if you tweet TSA or tag them on instagram, they will get back with you.

on another note, I flew with a 2 piece no problem. 2 things I noticed:
   1. when going through security the TSA agent said "whats that" and I said it's a fly rod to which he replied "I don't know if your allowed to bring that through, let me get my boss" to which I interrupted him and said "well its approved on your list" and I proceeded to pull out a print out of proof and he replied "oh ok, I haven't read those too thoroughly, you're good"  haha not to reassuring about TSA agents

   2. when I flew with the 2 piece rods, I had a connecting flight and some Flight Attendants offered to store it in the Coat closet in the cabin, others didn't say anything and I put it in the overhead bin. When I put them in the coat closet, when I got off the plane they had it up front and handed it right to me. It was not a big deal.   Note: I was flying delta.

also when I fly I also bring my reels in my carryon, just piece of mind that if my checked bags got lost, id still have a rod and reel and can buy/rent/barrow anything else.



On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 12:32:26 PM UTC-4, tperkins wrote:
Connor did you try using the Ask TSA twitter account? https://twitter.com/AskTSA

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 11:54:36 AM UTC-4, Connor Donovan wrote:
Anyone ever carry on a net?  Specifically a fishpond mid-length net?  Or a net that is slightly longer than usual/quasi boat net?

Doesn't look like it will fit in my bag but I would like to bring it out west with me in a few weeks.  It's 37 inches tip to tip.

I sent a message to TSA with a link to Fishpond's website and got a super generic "Go to our website to see what is prohibited with our 'Can I bring...' tool".  Jerks.

Many thanks in advance.

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 9:29:52 AM UTC-4, Greggory DiSalvo wrote:
Took two tubes on four Delta flights in August with no problem!

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 5:44:54 PM UTC-4, Danny Barrett wrote:
Hello,

I am traveling back to my parents area for Thanksgiving and planning to bring back 3 rods whose cases are between 24" and 36".  Only posts i saw on the blog were from 2012 about carry rod tubes on. Anyone have more recent experience?  I am trying to not check them due to their costs and I don't have anything i can put them in that locks and they don't fit in my carry on back.

Thanks for any assistance,

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/335a8098-1556-4412-abee-1e5ffeaae367%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CANiFxBwk635AN5%3DHC26TsEhCPCNBeWx17MrJ-GFXDeAeEPJrLw%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAG1ZA-uPsAM4DV5PWgmRfy%2BYVdMhPfdRBQ1gq7-30bhvmiCjEg%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment