Friday, October 26, 2012

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: New to fly fishing the Potomac. Suggestions?

Everyone-

Thanks for all your good ideas!

Mother nature may make my decision for me this weekend, but if the storm holds off I think I'm down to two main options:

1- Park near lock 10 on the Clara Barton parkway and pick my way in toward the river to fish off one of the rock formations there

2- Head up to riverbend and take the bootleggers/heritage trail up toward the pipeline easement and fish the rocks and shoreline there.

I ruled Chain Bridge because it's often crowded with spinners on saturday mornings and I don't want to have to fight a crowd.

I'm leaning against gravelly point because it can also get a little crowded with plane sighters and the idea of wet wading doesn't appeal.

And frankly, the idea of taking a short hike to a quiet-ish fishing spot sounds like just what I need this weekend. 

I'm still open to any ideas, and thoughts on what kind of leader and fly to use are more than welcome. I'm thinking of swinging by Orvis tonight to have a chat (and to pick up some tippet line and flies).

Thanks again to everyone.

Happy Friday

-Jim 

On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:13:27 AM UTC-4, Danny Barrett wrote:
Not sure whats in that area now.  But when shad and stripers are running, thats all I do and have success.

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Morgan Franklin <morganw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Not to hijack a thread but...... I'm off Friday and will be in the city after 11:00 or so. I want to get some fishing in and my situation is the exact same. I was thinking of fishing Chain Bridge, sinking line w/ clousers. Low tide is at 1:00 so it would probably be during an outgoing tide. I have always fished to the north of the bridge w/ no luck but that was w/ floating line and a sink leader.
Is this plan flawed?
Morgan
 
 
On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM, TurbineBlade <doubl...@gmail.com> wrote:
I had one other idea for you that I've done occasionally -- if you read the tides and hit 4MR at low tide (or pretty near low tide) you can probably walk out on the rocks and cast decently in and around the outfall.  You could also probably pick up a pair of cheap rubber boots and that actually might be an even better way to do it.  

Holmes Run can also be fished successfully without wading -- I've done it.  The rubber boots again would help, but full chest waders are completely unnecessary there.  

Gene


On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:54:44 AM UTC-4, Aaron O wrote:
         I just got my first pair of waders so I know from experience how difficult it can seem to find fishing without waders.  I can confirm that Tidal Basin would work well since there is no wading or boating and you could easily take the metro right there.  You could also try the potomac near chainbridge.  The river narrows down enough that you can stand on the edge and cast right into the middle of the water way.  This does speed up the current but since you are not wading there is nothing to worry about.  You can also rent a rowboat at Fletchers boat house for going up and down the potomac.  You could also try waters other than the potomac.  I'm sure there are multiple options but the only one that comes to mind for me is Lake Fairfax.  I admit not the best option but they did just stock it with trout if you wanted to give it a try. (if you do want to try this, reply back to me and I will give you some suggestions for that location)  I'm sure other guys will give you other sugestions, this is the only one I have been able to try at.
 
 
 
        Another option you would have is to wet wade in certain areas like gravelly point, the duck point, 4 mile run (all near Reagan National Airport).  There is a lot of discussion about whether it is a good idea to wet wade in the potomac.  I know that a lot of people suggest not to wet wade in there for health/sanitary condition and I'm sure that have merit to them but I will admit that I have been wet wading there for a year and a half without any issues.  That being said, now that I have a pair of chest waders and a pair of hip waders, I will no longer be wet wading there.  I am by no means an expert in these areas, I'm just giving you ideas to think about and allow you to make your own choice.
It you are looking for any help with these locations, feel free to let me know and I will be happy to help in any way I can.
 
 
Where ever you go, It's still better than fighting the traffic,
 
 
Tight Lines,
 
 
Aaron 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/oEyZgyrn060J.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 



--
Morgan Franklin


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 



--
Dan Barrett
 
32 Highland Ave.
Morgantown, WV 26505
 
(540)-222-8064
 

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/-/k0PyQ9VsVBEJ.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment