Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Vero Beach FL area

Thanks, Trent! Yes, I did cancel the trip, but I rescheduled for late October with the same plan. I'll probably bring my 9-weight just because I hate my 8-weight, and my 9 is already rigged with an intermediate with a clear tip. I'll look up Whites, and let you know how it goes.

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:26 PM Trent Jones <tjones518@hotmail.com> wrote:
Jeff,

I am assuming you canceled this trip with Dorian making its way towards the Florida Peninsula. I spend some time each summer walking the beaches in that area with fly rod in hand. My typical set up is an 8 weight with a clear intermediate line. I rarely go below 25lbs for leader either. some of the beaches have deeper troughs and I will use weighted flies like Clousers quite a bit but usually I opt for smaller lighter flies that imitate white baits. When people say that Snook are on the beach, that can mean that they are within inches of dry sand so keep your eyes peeled. You will also run into Jacks, Ladyfish, and the occasional Poon as well. Size up the Poons and your gear before you cast at them or risk getting spooled. Pop in and see the folks at Whites Tackle in Vero or in Fort Pierce if you head down that way. 

-Trent 

On Sunday, August 25, 2019 at 6:43:04 PM UTC-4, Jeff Silvan wrote:
Hey all, my parents recently moved for Vero Beach FL. I'm heading down there for Labor Day weekend and I'm going to bring along my fly rod (assuming the tropical storm stays away). I've seen quite a bit on here about walking the beaches in Florida in general, but mostly on the gulf side. 

My general plan is to walk the beach in the early evening as the sun is dropping behind me and throw chartreuse and white clousers if I see anything. Does anyone have more specific advice on better choices for fly patterns or beaches?

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/7d6f0483-ee5f-487f-ab41-92fde52f4335%40googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CANiFxBwAVr3At20D7nikRCq9Aa8RK-cOfrp31GMNi7-gr_8q9g%40mail.gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment