Friday, August 2, 2019

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Upper Potomac

Have heard chatter at the fly shop (Orvis Arlington) that guides in the region, Potomac especially, are reporting big drops in the population - thought right now is that the high water last year did some damage, but that's not definitive. 

I have not fished the Upper potomac in years; only smallmouth hits for me have been brief wading trips on the Shenandoah and Rapidan.  Shenandoah seemed OK, Rapidan was slow. Virtually no topwater bite there. 


On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 11:47:36 AM UTC-4, Jamie Carracher wrote:
This has me second-guessing my weekend plans! 

Last week I waded several miles of Seneca Creek not far from where it enters the Potomac. I saw a few guys come up from the river in motorized boats after they didn't have luck. Seemed desperate considering most of the water I found was 2-3 feet max. I didn't find any bass. I have been there several times in 2019 and Rock Creek fishes better for me. Probably retiring it from my target list.



On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 11:05:31 AM UTC-4, Andrew Sarcinello wrote:
I wouldn't call myself even close to being a regular on the upper Potomac, but in the past few years I've done a handful of lengthy float trips in low and clear water.  The consistent theme I noticed was LONG stretches of water where not a single bass would be seen.  I know fish are great at staying hidden when they want to, but it frankly just does not seem like there are many bass in that river in general.  Either that or they just tend to concentrate in very specific areas during low water.  When the biologists do their population surveys though, they find plenty of fish, so it's puzzling to me why it doesn't fish better.

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 6:43:57 PM UTC-4, Nick wrote:
Has anyone been targeting smallmouth on the Upper Potomac this summer? I have been out three times for a couple of hours in the evenings and its been unusually slow. It seems to be better in the morning, but having trouble finding fish high or low... The river as a whole is quiet. 


--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/a0bc4a75-2e0b-41dc-b932-c661d41915b7%40googlegroups.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment