Saturday, March 18, 2017

{Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Re: Small stream sampling



On Saturday, March 18, 2017 at 6:04:16 PM UTC-4, TurbineBlade wrote:
For those with interest in non-fishing aspects of local waters, I thought I'd share a quick "sample" report from the 38F water in my backyard stream.  

Winter collecting is not too different from winter fishing, in that the fish are definitely there but you need to put a bit of thought into where they might be.  In my experience they are NOT in the same places in the winter as they are in the summer, that's for sure.  

In a couple of hours I managed:

6 tesselated darters
8 blacknose dace
1-2 tiny redbreast sunfish
3 plethodontid salamanders (I can't key the non-Missouri species beyond family)
countless swallowtail shiners
cranefly larvae
chironomids
1 damselfly larva
1 fairfax county library card

(I kept a subset of the above for my 25gal cube -- acclimating from 38F to 72F takes time!)

I finally purchased the "perfect dipnet" which is pricey, but WAYYYY better than any other "self" net I've ever used for this purpose.  Usually 1-2 strong riffles will destroy a typical net.  

Fun stuff folks -- there's nothing more pro-American than keeping and appreciating our native darters.  God I miss the rainbows I could get within 1 mile of Missouri State campus.  

Gene

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/ad9d1b0e-53a6-4649-8d2c-79b7458b1738%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

No comments:

Post a Comment