Hey Will,
I've never attempted tying on the plane, but I do regularly travel with fly gear and I carry everything on with no issues. In my rod case I carry rods, reels, fly boxes with flies (even big Saltwater patterns), forceps and/or pliers (pliers must be 7" or less to carry on), nips, hook file, etc. I fill any remaining space in the rod case with some clothing. Just keep anything they may want to take a second look at (hook file, pliers, etc.) easily accessible to make their job as easy and efficient as possible - I have been thanked for this several times by agents. Remember, they're looking for bad guys, not traveling anglers, so just be kind and relaxed and let them do their thing. I also print a current copy of the TSA regs (just the fishing part) and keep the printout in the carry-on just in case it needs to be referenced, but I have never had to cite it: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/hunting-and-fishing-equipment
In the TSA's words:
"Fishing Rods/Poles
Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.
Tackle Equipment
Sharp fishing tackle that may be considered dangerous, such as large fish hooks, should be sheathed, securely wrapped, and packed in your checked luggage. Like other high-value objects, you may wish to pack expensive reels or fragile tackle that does not pose a security threat (small flies) in your carry-on baggage"
Sounds like an AWESOME trip - have a blast!!!
Dan Davala
On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 8:13 AM, Will Brumas <will.brumas@gmail.com> wrote:
--Hey all, I just booked my trip with two buddies out to Jackson Hole for mid-late June! I'm very excited. We'll be out there for two weeks fishing around Wyoming with Jackson as our hub.My question: does anybody have any tips for air traveling with fly gear? Do they let you bring hooks/fly boxes full of flies on the plane? I thought it might be pretty awesome to tie a few on my tray table in flight, haha. Most importantly, I want to know what to pack on the carry on and what not to pack.Any other Wyoming-area tips appreciated...we got some bear spray.Will
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/b60869b0-5a9a-4739-b0d4-e06f5ea134ea%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
http://www.tpfr.org
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAEKpoJezBVFTEPMnsf7OYwzjcp55%2BhB-2x_ae6x5uj5TP1%3D51A%40mail.gmail.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
No comments:
Post a Comment